What's new

Change Priority of somba service

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stephen Becker

Occasional Visitor
It looks like the somba service on my AC87U uses a LOT lof router CPU when my clients use it as a backup destination. For a decently powerful router, it is a surprisingly big problem, a single computer running robocopy is enough to increase internet latancy.

I would like to lower somba's priority so that it does not compete with routing services. I know I could write an init script to sleep 120 and then renice somba. Is there a better way to do it?

Also, is lowering the priority of somba the best idea? Or are there key services used for routing and QoS that I should instead increase the priority of?

You could renice samba, however Samba itself is only a portion of the CPU load - a good chunk of it comes from the USB driver itself, so I doubt renicing smbd will have a big impact.

One way to renice would be to create a postconf script that would launch a separate script (so the postconf script can immediately return), which would contain a sleep command (to give samba some time to launch), and then issue the renice command (use "pid" to find out the smbd process PID).