What's new

Change SSID via cline?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AppleBag

Regular Contributor
I'm wanting to try something just for fun on a second router of mine, running the latest Merlin.

I'd like to create a text file with a list of ssid names, 1 per line, and at a scheduled period of time, say every week, it'll randomly choose one of the ssid's from that list and change the ssid on the router to that.

I have NO idea if this is possible, or how to do it, but my uneducated guess is some sort of cron job and a command line call of some sort?

Does anyone more educated on this subject know how this can be done?

Thanks in advance!

There are some clues here, but as I said, it's just clues, because the need to change the SSID is very rare, I've seen the need to change the password and MAC address (BSSID) on the forums over the years, but the SSID, honestly this It's my first time hearing about it.

I don't know why you would want to do this, but you will most likely have to write your script yourself.

You can change the ssid name or password etc... with nvram set command. You need to know the name of the network

For example to change the SSID name of wl0.2 to MYNEWSSID :

Code:
nvram set wl0.2_ssid=MYNEWSSID
nvram commit
service restart_wireless

You can do this in a script and run it with a cron job.

Have a look at that one I made to rotate my guest wifi password and display it on my tv : link

you can do something like this to get a list of nvram variable and find the network you wan't to change

Code:
nvram show | grep ssid