What's new

Change the Web User Interface language when it's factory locked

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

joomlafab

Occasional Visitor
In some countries such as Japan, the web user interface of some ASUS routers are locked to a single language and this cannot be changed.

Following that discussion, I used some users comments and wrote a little script that can change the Web User Interface language when it's factory locked, assuming you use merlin and enabled JFFS custom scripts.

I posted my script on asuswrt-merlin.ng wiki : changing language script wiki guide

Comments and questions welcome !

I'm a brand new user of Asus routers and Merlin, so I can't tell much about which countries/routers are concerned with this issue, but my RT-AX3000 purchased in Japan was locked in japanese, and I suspect other Asus products here might be the same. If you are aware of product series/countries having that problem, please write it down here as it might be useful.

AFAIK, only China and Japan have language locked models at this time.

As from version 386.1 of Asuswrt-Merlin, on my japanese RT-AX3000, it seems that english is now available on the language selector of the webui, allowing to switch between japanese and english. That's new, until then only japanese was available. But all other languages are still missing in the selector and therefore the method described on the wiki linked above is still valid and working for them.