What's new

Changing from USB 3.0 to SSD for Entware, Diversion etc....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JemTheWire

My system is running boringly fine at to moment. Even with Merlin 388.2 beta 1. I have a spare SSD and enclosure that I thought I could put to effective use.
Reading on here, some people say that using an SSD against a USB 3.0 stick can be advantageous. As I love to tinker, how easy is it to swap out my current USB 3.0 stick and replace it with the SSD? Can it be done without reinstalling everything? I have many 'apps' running, Diversion, ntpMerlin, YAZDHCP etc... Can I simply remove the USB stick and clone it to the SSD? If not, can someone give me a simple step by step guide as to how to go about the change?

I know folk will say 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' and that is a perfectly valid statement, but I am finding it had not to scratch the itch and play...

Just clone the drive. If you have another USB port, you can follow the example here or use your favorite OS and cloning tool and clone your USB drive.

Generally speaking, SSD drive are much more reliable than standard USB sticks, so in my opinion, good move.

Just one note, not all SSD drives are created equal. I have one SSD drive that uses a Sata Bridge that my AC86U will not recognize on router boot up (the theory is the drive takes too long to power up). Works fine when hot plugged after the fact. Disappointing, but it works fine as my primary drive for a RaspPi.

Just clone the drive. If you have another USB port, you can follow the example here or use your favorite OS and cloning tool and clone your USB drive.

Generally speaking, SSD drive are much more reliable than standard USB sticks, so in my opinion, good move.

Just one note, not all SSD drives are created equal. I have one SSD drive that uses a Sata Bridge that my AC86U will not recognize on router boot up (the theory is the drive takes too long to power up). Works fine when hot plugged after the fact. Disappointing, but it works fine as my primary drive for a RaspPi.
Not all SATA bridges are created equal - mine required an external DC power supply to step around this same issue.

My USB stick is 128 GB, and my SSD is only 80GB. Even though I must only have 3GB (Ish) of data on the USB, my clone software sees the capacity difference as a no-no. I thought that I might be able to shrink it in the process. but no. I realise that I cannot just cut and paste the data from one to another.

Any clue how to go about it?

What are you using to clone? The dd utility on the router?

It is easy to expand a file system. Going the other way may be a bit more challenging.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for the link, but I am afraid that it's beyond me.

I tried PartedMagic (CloneZilla) and EaseUS Partition Manager, but both rightfully complained that the target disk is smaller than the sauce disk. I was only trying to make use od a spare SSD. Unfortunately, my SSD is 80GB and my USB is 128GB.

I guess I will wait until a complete wipe/install of Merlin etal is needed and use my SSD then from a clean slate.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!