What's new

Changing ISP IP Address

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dlandiss

Very Senior Member
Not exactly a router issue, but the people in this forum know more about router-like problems than anybody else.

A couple of days ago my LAN suddenly had no Internet access. I tried rebooting the AX-86 router, no joy. I tried rebooting the Spectrum modem, no joy.

I called Spectrum and the nice agent reset my modem from his console. No joy. He said his console showed that my modem had a good connection to the Spectrum server center so the problem had to be at my end. I thanked him for his time and hung up.

I tried different power supplies, and then two different routers. No joy.

I remembered that someone once said to remove all of the cables from the modem, wait 30 minutes, and do a cold start. Modem power first, when it boots then connect the Spectrum coaxial cable, and when that shows a good connection on the modem panel then reconnect to my router. Houston, the Eagle has landed!

My fading memory thinks I was told years ago that each account at the ISP has its own identity in their system but sometimes the data for a given assigned WAN IP address gets corrupted. The idea was that when I reconnected I would get a new WAN address, hopefully uncorrupted.

Does that make sense? Any ideas what else could have made the 30 minute timeout solve the problem?

Thank you!

Not exactly a router issue, but the people in this forum know more about router-like problems than anybody else.

A couple of days ago my LAN suddenly had no Internet access. I tried rebooting the AX-86 router, no joy. I tried rebooting the Spectrum modem, no joy.

I called Spectrum and the nice agent reset my modem from his console. No joy. He said his console showed that my modem had a good connection to the Spectrum server center so the problem had to be at my end. I thanked him for his time and hung up.

I tried different power supplies, and then two different routers. No joy.

I remembered that someone once said to remove all of the cables from the modem, wait 30 minutes, and do a cold start. Modem power first, when it boots then connect the Spectrum coaxial cable, and when that shows a good connection on the modem panel then reconnect to my router. Houston, the Eagle has landed!

My fading memory thinks I was told years ago that each account at the ISP has its own identity in their system but sometimes the data for a given assigned WAN IP address gets corrupted. The idea was that when I reconnected I would get a new WAN address, hopefully uncorrupted.

Does that make sense? Any ideas what else could have made the 30 minute timeout solve the problem?

Thank you!

IPs don't get "corrupted" but it is possible that there was a routing issue on their network related to that IP, or that they had blocked someone that previously had that IP and forgotten to unblock it.

For future reference, if you want to change your WAN IP quickly, power off the cable modem, use the "clone mac address" features in the asus to give it the MAC of one of your LAN devices, then power the modem back up. That should get you a new IP.

I don't know what makes all the moving parts (we know about, and we don't know about) align when a full power-off and unplugging are performed, but I do know it works (occasionally).

What is even more intriguing to me is when cable ends are swapped (i.e. physically flipping the cable around) and the device(s), with the same cable that wasn't working 10 seconds previously, starts to work again. And further, swapping it back to how it was, gives the same 'dead' connection.

It may be interesting to know the (technical) reasons, but just knowing to try it is worth it for the cases when it works. ;)

I don't know what makes all the moving parts (we know about, and we don't know about) align when a full power-off and unplugging are performed, but I do know it works (occasionally).

What is even more intriguing to me is when cable ends are swapped (i.e. physically flipping the cable around) and the device(s), with the same cable that wasn't working 10 seconds previously, starts to work again. And further, swapping it back to how it was, gives the same 'dead' connection.

It may be interesting to know the (technical) reasons, but just knowing to try it is worth it for the cases when it works. ;)

With most ISPs it is a matter of when they release the IP so you can get a new one. Unfortunately some can be like 24 hours so cloning a MAC is the only way around it.

I've seen many cases where an IP is blacklisted from some or all stuff and still in circulation, cable company has to go remove the block and usually it takes someone tier 2 or higher to figure that out. Easier to just let someone else get it and deal with it :)

Not exactly a router issue

It may be caused by your router though. Asus has Aggressive Mode by default for DHCP query frequency (in WAN section, at the bottom of the page - Special Requirement from ISP). Your router perhaps lost the connection and did one too many DHCP queries above what your ISP likes. Your ISP DHCP assigned IP was blacklisted as a result. Your ISP perhaps has 30min IP release and your router picked up different IP after this period of silence. To prevent this from happening again try changing DHCP query frequency to Normal Mode and see how it goes.

IPs don't get "corrupted" but it is possible that there was a routing issue on their network related to that IP, or that they had blocked someone that previously had that IP and forgotten to unblock it.
Yeah, just my shortcut way of saying "the configuration of the hardware or software supporting the address" might be corrupted.

For future reference, if you want to change your WAN IP quickly, power off the cable modem, use the "clone mac address" features in the asus to give it the MAC of one of your LAN devices, then power the modem back up. That should get you a new IP.
Great idea! Thanks!

It may be caused by your router though. Asus has Aggressive Mode by default for DHCP query frequency (in WAN section, at the bottom of the page - Special Requirement from ISP). Your router perhaps lost the connection and did one too many DHCP queries above what your ISP likes. Your ISP DHCP assigned IP was blacklisted as a result. Your ISP perhaps has 30min IP release and your router picked up different IP after this period of silence. To prevent this from happening again try changing DHCP query frequency to Normal Mode and see how it goes.
Thanks -- I routinely use "Normal" because I read here some time ago that "Aggressive" was considered by some ISPs as, well, "aggressive." But I will make sure I continue to do so:cool:.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!