What's new

ChannelHog - Monitor And Force Maximum 5GHz Bandwidth

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Adamm

Part of the Furniture
v1.1.1
Updated - 28th June 2022

ChannelHog - Monitor and force maximum 5GHz bandwidth

About;

Tired of badly configured neighbours and DFS cutting your wireless bandwidth in half? Then this is the script for you!

ChannelHog will monitor your current 5GHz channel bandwidth on a daily basis and if it detects anything lower then 160MHz it will restart the 5Ghz radio. This script also includes optional Discord notification support.

Note: Your clients will temporarily be disconnected from the 5GHz band in the event of a restart, this usally takes 1-2 minutes and occurs at 4.45am.

This script will always be open source and free to use, but if you want to support future development you can do so by Donating With PayPal.

Usage;

To open the menu its as simple as;

Code:
sh /jffs/addons/channelhog/channelhog.sh

z5nOiJp.png

Installation;

In your favorite SSH Client;

Code:
mkdir -p /jffs/addons/channelhog && /usr/sbin/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Adamm00/ChannelHog/master/channelhog.sh" -o "/jffs/addons/channelhog/channelhog.sh" && chmod 755 /jffs/addons/channelhog/channelhog.sh && sh /jffs/addons/channelhog/channelhog.sh install

Last edited:
Reserved

@Adamm What do I use for a Discord URL? Do I need it?

UPDATED 11/01/2020

ChannelHog.svg

ChannelHog - Monitor and force maximum 5GHz bandwidth for the AX88U

About;

Tired of badly configured neighbours and DFS cutting your wireless bandwidth in half? Then this is the script for you!

ChannelHog will monitor your current 5GHz channel bandwidth on a daily basis and if it detects anything lower then 160MHz it will restart the 5Ghz radio. This script also includes optional Discord notification support.

Note: Your clients will temporarily be disconnected from the 5GHz band in the event of a restart, this usally takes 1-2 minutes and occurs at 4.45am.

This script will always be open source and free to use, but if you want to support future development you can do so by Donating With PayPal.

Usage;

To open the menu its as simple as;

Code:
sh /jffs/addons/channelhog/channelhog.sh

YfYthFy.png

jG5tY40.png

Installation;

In your favorite SSH Client;

Code:
mkdir -p /jffs/addons/channelhog && /usr/sbin/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Adamm00/ChannelHog/master/channelhog.sh" -o "/jffs/addons/channelhog/channelhog.sh" && chmod 755 /jffs/addons/channelhog/channelhog.sh && sh /jffs/addons/channelhog/channelhog.sh install
I guess I don't get the webhook part. never heard of it and don't know what or how to get the URL needed.

I guess I don't get the webhook part. never heard of it and don't know what or how to get the URL needed.

Its for optional Discord notifications, if you don't need this feature you can happily ignore it.

Its for optional Discord notifications, if you don't need this feature you can happily ignore it.
Thanks brother @Adamm looks good changed my Chromecast to 2(AC)80 from 2(AC)40. Cool! :D

what are the chances this will get ported over to the ac86?
Also, does this work for an AiMesh setup?

what are the chances this will get ported over to the ac86?

I can't remember if devices with 80MHz channel width suffer from degradation on the 5GHz band (my spare devices are all out on loan to family members), but if they do I can fairly easily adapt the script for them.

Also, does this work for an AiMesh setup?

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

Thanks brother @Adamm looks good changed my Chromecast to 2(AC)80 from 2(AC)40. Cool! :D
I have a small issue:
Code:
Select Menu Option:
[1]  --> Start ChannelHog
[2]  --> Check Channel Bandwidth
[3]  --> Temporarily Disable ChannelHog
[4]  --> Update ChannelHog
[5]  --> Install ChannelHog
[6]  --> Uninstall

[e]  --> Exit Menu

[1-6]: 2

/jffs/addons/channelhog/channelhog.sh: .: line 341: can't open '/jffs/addons/channelhog/channelhog.cfg'
What should I do bud?

I have a small issue:
Code:
Select Menu Option:
[6]  --> Uninstall

[e]  --> Exit Menu

/jffs/addons/channelhog/channelhog.sh: .: line 341: can't open '/jffs/addons/channelhog/channelhog.cfg'
What should I do bud?

Did you complete the installation first? That should create the config file.

Did you complete the installation first? That should create the config file.
Actually when selecting 2 it kicks me out after saying 2 is not an option. If i run the command
Code:
sh /jffs/addons/channelhog/channelhog.sh check
The command works.

Actually when selecting 2 it kicks me out after saying 2 is not an option. If i run the command

Can you show me the exact output? Seems to be working on my end (no output means everything is running fine, I added some filler text in a patch)

Can you show me the exact output? Seems to be working on my end (no output means everything is running fine, I added some filler text in a patch)
Code:
############################################################################################################
#                                                                                                          #
#           ██████╗██╗  ██╗ █████╗ ███╗   ██╗███╗   ██╗███████╗██╗     ██╗  ██╗ ██████╗  ██████╗           #
#          ██╔════╝██║  ██║██╔══██╗████╗  ██║████╗  ██║██╔════╝██║     ██║  ██║██╔═══██╗██╔════╝           #
#          ██║     ███████║███████║██╔██╗ ██║██╔██╗ ██║█████╗  ██║     ███████║██║   ██║██║  ███╗          #
#          ██║     ██╔══██║██╔══██║██║╚██╗██║██║╚██╗██║██╔══╝  ██║     ██╔══██║██║   ██║██║   ██║          #
#          ╚██████╗██║  ██║██║  ██║██║ ╚████║██║ ╚████║███████╗███████╗██║  ██║╚██████╔╝╚██████╔╝          #
#           ╚═════╝╚═╝  ╚═╝╚═╝  ╚═╝╚═╝  ╚═══╝╚═╝  ╚═══╝╚══════╝╚══════╝╚═╝  ╚═╝ ╚═════╝  ╚═════╝           #
#                                                                                                          #
#                          Monitor And Force Maximum 5GHz Bandwidth For Asus Routers                       #
#                                  By Adamm - https://github.com/Adamm00                                   #
#                                           11/01/2019 - v1.0.0                                            #
############################################################################################################

Select Menu Option:
[6]  --> Uninstall

[e]  --> Exit Menu

ChannelHog: 80MHz Channel Width Detected - Restarting Wireless Service
This may be normal eh?

Code:
#           ██████╗██╗  ██╗ █████╗ ███╗   ██╗███╗   ██╗███████╗██╗     ██╗  ██╗ ██████╗  ██████╗           #
#          ██╔════╝██║  ██║██╔══██╗████╗  ██║████╗  ██║██╔════╝██║     ██║  ██║██╔═══██╗██╔════╝           #
#          ██║     ███████║███████║██╔██╗ ██║██╔██╗ ██║█████╗  ██║     ███████║██║   ██║██║  ███╗          #
#          ██║     ██╔══██║██╔══██║██║╚██╗██║██║╚██╗██║██╔══╝  ██║     ██╔══██║██║   ██║██║   ██║          #
#          ╚██████╗██║  ██║██║  ██║██║ ╚████║██║ ╚████║███████╗███████╗██║  ██║╚██████╔╝╚██████╔╝          #
#           ╚═════╝╚═╝  ╚═╝╚═╝  ╚═╝╚═╝  ╚═══╝╚═╝  ╚═══╝╚══════╝╚══════╝╚═╝  ╚═╝ ╚═════╝  ╚═════╝           #
#                          Monitor And Force Maximum 5GHz Bandwidth For Asus Routers                       #
#                                  By Adamm - https://github.com/Adamm00                                   #
#                                           11/01/2019 - v1.0.0                                            #

Select Menu Option:
[6]  --> Uninstall

[e]  --> Exit Menu

This may be normal eh?
My channel bandwidth is actually set to 160. Should I lower it?

My channel bandwidth is actually set to 160. Should I lower it?

Your channel width should be set to 160MHz and ideally a fixed channel;

hdncN47.png

Your channel width should be set to 160MHz and ideally a fixed channel;

hdncN47.png
Ok I mirrored your settings and then clicked "Apply," but had to reinstall channelhog to get it to work again.

Last edited:
It work with all channels enabled too:
upload_2020-1-10_13-43-31.png

upload_2020-1-10_13-44-3.png

I first set it to 160MHz and then started channel hog, after that I switched over to 20/40/80/160 MHZ and checked channel bandwith. Now it's on 160MHz.

It work with all channels enabled too:
View attachment 20794

View attachment 20795

I first set it to 160MHz and then started channel hog, after that I switched over to 20/40/80/160 MHZ and checked channel bandwith. Now it's on 160MHz.
I have same settings and this happens.
Code:

Select Menu Option:
[6]  --> Uninstall

[e]  --> Exit Menu

Every single time.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!