What's new

Cheap managed switch with Console to setup VLAN in home network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snbf4DP

New Around Here
Any suggestions?

I'm fine with getting something useful from ebay.
I need to know a switch that offers at least VLAN config options and a console port for some learning experience.

Thanks!

How cheap are we talking about? I'd assume you'd throw at least $75-100 at this?

Personally, even for SOHO I stick with at least "better-of-breed"; unfortunately for semi-managed and above, a lot of the low-end products just simply don't cut it, either in features, reliability, or both. Netgear tends be fine in a largely non-mixed vendor environment, otherwise I go with HP. Real Cisco is always looming, but of course can be overly pricey depending on how you purchase. The HP 1920 is good if you like Comware. Otherwise the 2530 for ProCurve, and/or if you want a full-blown CLI. Can probably snag a used 1920 under $100, or a used 2530 for under $200 on eBay. There's also a lot of older 3Com, Nortel, Extreme, Adtran, Allied Telesis, etc. to be had on eBay, so you could just deal-hunt on those as well.

Another option might be Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch and/or Mikrotik CRS if you want full-blown L3 on the cheap.

GS108T is cheap and can do layer 3 - down side is no console port, and it's a WebGUI...

There's some good deals on used switches on eBay - watch out for old/obsolete gear, and some may require license agreement for the enterprise/data center grade equipment.

Yeah, for non-critical stuff TP-Link should suffice. For a business, though, or even for your own sanity at home, I'd tend to stick with more of the big-boy stuff. Even for lowly L2 unmanaged, I've often cleared up access issues by simply swapping in HP 1410/1420's for the cheapo alternatives... call it unfounded, call it voodoo, call it whatever you want, but that's just what I've seen, even at the most basic of basic levels -- obviously, the differences can/will be even more stark the higher up the manageability/L2/L3 scale one goes...

For, $160, I'd take a 1920-16G over the TP-Link more times than not, and if you google for it, you can find the password that will unlock the "rest" of the Comware CLI, officially unsupported by HP of course, but it's in there, so you can have quite a learning tool on your hands as well. Just my 2C. :)

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!