What's new

Choosing Cable Modems Today — Arris SB6183 vs. SB8200 vs. Moto MB8600 vs ???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SR-71

Occasional Visitor
Would appreciate suggestions/feedback on these Broadcom-based modems as I’m avoiding *all* Puma chip modems.

I’m redoing my home network to cut the cord with Comcast except for their Internet service. Looking to replace Comcast’s XB3 (have Triple Play 500mbps) with a new modem to save on the rental fees. Considering dropping down to 200-300 mbps, and pairing with a new ASUS RT-AX3000 which is giving me good performance so far.

Need rock-solid performance, so cable modems that suffer from disconnects, stalling, etc., esp. those that do not recover and need manual reboots are not wanted.

Just looking for good, reliable equipment and service while not under- or overbuying. Not interested in Netgear’s offerings, regardless of performance.

Lastly, as these are all Broadcom units, have the Spectrum Analyzers been re-enabled on each of them (by Comcast I’d think) due to the prior security concerns? Asking as I’d want to see the signal strengths up and down for all of the channels.

Anyway, all thoughts/personal experiences/suggestions greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Would appreciate suggestions/feedback on these Broadcom-based modems as I’m avoiding *all* Puma chip modems.

I’m redoing my home network to cut the cord with Comcast except for their Internet service. Looking to replace Comcast’s XB3 (have Triple Play 500mbps) with a new modem to save on the rental fees. Considering dropping down to 200-300 mbps, and pairing with a new ASUS RT-AX3000 which is giving me good performance so far.

Need rock-solid performance, so cable modems that suffer from disconnects, stalling, etc., esp. those that do not recover and need manual reboots are not wanted.

Just looking for good, reliable equipment and service while not under- or overbuying. Not interested in Netgear’s offerings, regardless of performance.

Lastly, as these are all Broadcom units, have the Spectrum Analyzers been re-enabled on each of them (by Comcast I’d think) due to the prior security concerns? Asking as I’d want to see the signal strengths up and down for all of the channels.

Anyway, all thoughts/personal experiences/suggestions greatly appreciated!

Should you start with a Comcast approved-modem list, then pick one of the better/current ones from a preferred-OEM that you can source/replace and afford?

OE

Thanks, and that’s exactly where I began so I could narrow it down to those three models before posting here. I’d really appreciate hearing people’s experience with them, ideally on Comcast/Xfinity, both good and bad.

For instance, I’d appreciate hearing the max DL speed the SB6183 actually achieved on Comcast (hardwired, as Wi-Fi routers and speeds can vary widely), and under which speed plan? How did it do under peak neighborhood usage times — any speed loss (as it has fewer channels than the other two)?

Any issues with the SB8200, and if so what were they?

Any disconnects or other issues with the Motorola?

That kind of stuff please, plus any good experiences too! It all helps.

Thanks, and that’s exactly where I began so I could narrow it down to those three models before posting here. I’d really appreciate hearing people’s experience with them, ideally on Comcast/Xfinity, both good and bad.

For instance, I’d appreciate hearing the max DL speed the SB6183 actually achieved on Comcast (hardwired, as Wi-Fi routers and speeds can vary widely), and under which speed plan? How did it do under peak neighborhood usage times — any speed loss (as it has fewer channels than the other two)?

Any issues with the SB8200, and if so what were they?

Any disconnects or other issues with the Motorola?

That kind of stuff please, plus any good experiences too! It all helps.
I know the sb8200 is a nice reliable modem. Gaming streaming anything you through at it it just laps it up

Thanks royarcher. Let me ask, is that from personally using the 8200, or from its reputation, or ... ?

Asking because while it has a lot of great reviews online, there is a smaller but significant number of user reviews showing a concerning pattern of early device failures (after only several months) and/or stalls/disconnects from the ISP, frequent reboots, etc.

From some user comments, while it provides phenomenal speeds, it appears the 8200 is more sensitive to line noise, signal strength, and errors, especially on the upload channels. Some of the issues seem correctable by having the ISP tech come out, but it’s still concerning given its higher price. I also understand there have been multiple hardware versions of this device, which may or may not account for some of these issues.

I’m looking for a modem that will be rock-solid in performance and connection stability (no stalls or reboots in the middle of something) and has the endurance to last at least several years, not months.

I get that all tech devices will have some lemons as a %, but it’s enough of a pattern repeated across numerous reviews that it makes me raise these questions.

Would greatly appreciate any other details you or anyone else can provide.

Thanks royarcher. Let me ask, is that from personally using the 8200, or from its reputation, or ... ?

Asking because while it has a lot of great reviews online, there is a smaller but significant number of user reviews showing a concerning pattern of early device failures (after only several months) and/or stalls/disconnects from the ISP, frequent reboots, etc.

From some user comments, while it provides phenomenal speeds, it appears the 8200 is more sensitive to line noise, signal strength, and errors, especially on the upload channels. Some of the issues seem correctable by having the ISP tech come out, but it’s still concerning given its higher price. I also understand there have been multiple hardware versions of this device, which may or may not account for some of these issues.

I’m looking for a modem that will be rock-solid in performance and connection stability (no stalls or reboots in the middle of something) and has the endurance to last at least several years, not months.

I get that all tech devices will have some lemons as a %, but it’s enough of a pattern repeated across numerous reviews that it makes me raise these questions.

Would greatly appreciate any other details you or anyone else can provide.
I am taking from the experience of my arris we have had it for about 18 months on a 50 mbs plan and it has been rock solid. I am not sure about 1 G plans ,someone from the states or somewhere else that have such speeds will have to advise you there. In Australia internet speed is a joke 100 mbs is about the best you can hope for.

I have not read problems hardware wise with early failure with the Arris SB8200 modems. That probably is someone starting a rumor. The SB8200 has been around a lot longer than the MB8600 so as to early failure on the MB8600 modem it may not of been around long enough.

I have not read problems hardware wise with early failure with the Arris SB8200 modems. That probably is someone starting a rumor.
I think you may be right I can't fault the modem. At any given time there may be two streaming devices , a laptop and two or three phones and the boy intensely gaming and it hasn't missed a beat. In fact the only time the internet has failed it's been the ISP at fault not the arris sb 8200