What's new

Choosing dual WAN router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vla

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

I'm currently looking for the dual WAN router. Choosing between the following models:

Linksys RV042 (cannot find the product on the Linksys new site, so no link)
TW100-BRV324
Xincom XC-DPG502
Netgear FVS336G
Draytek 2910 Series

However, I want to ensure that the device of my choice has the following functionality:
the device should be able to forward the traffic with the same destination port to different LAN addresses depending on the WAN address that the connection was established on. To clarify this I will give an example: you have 2 FTP (or whatever service) servers on the intranet. When you get the incoming FTP connection through WAN1 it should be forwarded to LANFTP1 server, when the incoming FTP request comes to WAN2 this should be forwarded to LANFTP2 server. Just in case, anyone suggests that I'd expose one host to DMZ, this is not acceptable in my case.

Any ideas regarding the described functionality in the products mentioned above are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Any information on the other products with this functionality is also welcome.

Thanks again

Dual-WAN routers usually allow you to direct outgoing traffic to a specific WAN by service port. I don't know of products that have port forwarding setup for each WAN port.

The Cisco RV series RV042, RV082 can also be configured for multiple WAN connection.

Thanks Tim.

Yes, I mentioned RV042 in my list (it is just not linked to the product page).

I also recalled that ASUS has its RX3042h, but also have no information that I need about this model.

The interesting information I found is that some models of Peplink have the functionality that I need. I found it out through the very nice demo interface on their site which I actually considered to be one of the best demo interfaces available on the network. The problem with the Peplink is that they are way too expensive and not sold in my country.

As I didn't find all of the models counted above on the site, I beleive that there still can be some models available with the required functionality. So I just stay hoping that this thread will be noticed by the owners of dual wan devices who can share the information from the first hands.

Thanks again

Sorry for not spotting the RV042 in your list, Vla. It's been a busy morning on the forums and I was reading very quickly.

Thanks for the info on Peplink. Yes, their routers aren't cheap.

Drayteks...

The DrayTek 2910 supports port forwarding per wan port (actually also per ip if you have more than one ip on a wan port) and globally across both ports. Load balancing works well to. I've got 3 of these 2910's running along with 2950. All work great!

Take a look at the Zyxel USG100 or the new Sonicwall TZ series. The TZ100 is fairly reasonable (for Sonicwall) and has dual WAN.

Thanks claykin, liked the TZ100, but both devices TZ100 and USG100 are next to impossible to get in my country. Did both models just hit the market?

rolaids-, thanks to you too, as it is slightly easier to find Draytek stuff here I will try to get a 2910.

Wish you a good week-end

Thanks claykin, liked the TZ100, but both devices TZ100 and USG100 are next to impossible to get in my country. Did both models just hit the market?

rolaids-, thanks to you too, as it is slightly easier to find Draytek stuff here I will try to get a 2910.

Wish you a good week-end

TZ100 is new, maybe a month or so on the market. The USG series from Zyxel is at least a year old.

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solu...ees_and_offices/cisco_rv042_glance/index.html

Here is the link to Linksys RV042.

Draytek 2910 Series cannot do what you described. You need a load balancer with inbound WAN management ability which my best guess is not supported by anyone else on the list as Inbound control is not exactly some feature they would support on a consumer device although I am not perfectly sure.

Have a look at Peplink, it can do what you described.

-Kurt

Hi Kurt,

Thanks a lot for your input.

I beleive that RV042 cannot do the thing. Got a Draytek, and from what I can see in web interface (and what I could see before in demo on their site) this device more likely will satisfy my demand.

Will update once the config is ready.

Hi rolaids-

Hope you're well.

Just got my 2910V. Played a bit with it, however my second line is not ready yet, so no chance to test the full functionality. The web interface works blazing fast so it gives me a hope that the network performance will be that great as well.

Will update, once I get the second line connected and make some draft dual wan config.

Thanks again for your advice.

Hi Vla,

Guess I was wrong about Draytek. I am glad that you found what you wanted.

Cheers.
-Kurt

Inbound Load Balancing

kurtsee-- You are correct about inbound load balancing, no consumer device supports that. That requires ISP support as well. You would need devices on both ends that understand the connection usage. There are tricks you can do like round robin A records, which for most people, is enough.