What's new

Choppy streaming files from AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lifeisfun

Regular Contributor
Never had this problem using AC87U, same setup same USB drive used.
When I move the same file to WD network drive it's streaming fine.
Any idea what can cause this? The movie starts, will play fine for couple seconds then it stops for couple seconds and so on :(

Thanks

Never had this problem using AC87U, same setup same USB drive used.
When I move the same file to WD network drive it's streaming fine.
Any idea what can cause this? The movie starts, will play fine for couple seconds then it stops for couple seconds and so on :(

Thanks
In Samba settings on the router try using the "force as master browser" setting to yes.

In Samba settings on the router try using the "force as master browser" setting to yes.
Well, finally had some time to try that, and unfortunately it still does the same pauses like before
Any other ideas what can cause this?

Thanks

Well, finally had some time to try that, and unfortunately it still does the same pauses like before
Any other ideas what can cause this?

Thanks
Try a different usb stick.

It's exactly same stick as I had before on the AC87, but I'll try
Thanks
My point being the drive may have developed problems, or the firmware doesn't like it anymore. Something like that, never hurts to try different stuff. If not just for comparison. :D

My point being the drive may have developed problems, or the firmware doesn't like it anymore. Something like that, never hurts to try different stuff. If not just for comparison. :D
So, tried new USB3.0 stick and still the same problem.
Tried both USB ports, the 3.0 is slightly better but it still stops.
Took out the ac87 out of retirement ( dead 2.4ghz band) and it still works fine.
What gives?

So, tried new USB3.0 stick and still the same problem.
Tried both USB ports, the 3.0 is slightly better but it still stops.
Took out the ac87 out of retirement ( dead 2.4ghz band) and it still works fine.
What gives?
You could ask @Adamm he has had success with a script that gets samba speeds both read and write up a little higher. I'm not sure if this will help but, the other question I have for you is: Do you have a active swap file on your AC86U?

Hmmm, I guess I dont
You could ask @Adamm he has had success with a script that gets samba speeds both read and write up a little higher. I'm not sure if this will help but, the other question I have for you is: Do you have a active swap file on your AC86U?
Hmmm, I guess I don't, where do I set it up?

Hmmm, I guess I dont

Hmmm, I guess I don't, where do I set it up?
You need to ssh into your router. You can do that with a terminal client like putty. Have you ever done anything like that before?

You need to ssh into your router. You can do that with a terminal client like putty. Have you ever done anything like that before?
Yes I did, many times, but always followed instructions :)
When switching to this router I used SSH to move my DHCP client list

Yes I did, many times, but always followed instructions :)
Ok, ssh into your router and install AMTM. Once its installed and running look for the swap feature. Should be "sw" it will ask you how large of a swap you want, In your case choose 1gig. Once its done, that's it. Reboot the router and try the usb file situation you have again. The swap may help that work better.

Ok, ssh into your router and install AMTM. Once its installed and running look for the swap feature. Should be "sw" it will ask you how large of a swap you want, In your case choose 1gig. Once its done, that's it. Reboot the router and try the usb file situation you have again. The swap may help that work better.
Thanks for your patience, will report back when done ! :)

Still puzzled how is this possible when the router is overall way faster then the AC87.
You never said what method you're using to "stream" the files. All of the discussion has been based on the assumption that you are using Samba to share the files across your network. If that is the case then Samba tends to need quite a lot of RAM to achieve any sort decent file transfer speed. It's possible that you are running other add-ons on your router (like torrents, etc.) that are consuming enough of your RAM to have a performance impact of Samba. Adding a swap file would help to alleviate that problem by increasing the amount of virtual memory.

You never said what method you're using to "stream" the files. All of the discussion has been based on the assumption that you are using Samba to share the files across your network. If that is the case then Samba tends to need quite a lot of RAM to achieve any sort decent file transfer speed. It's possible that you are running other add-ons on your router (like torrents, etc.) that are consuming enough of your RAM to have a performance impact of Samba. Adding a swap file would help to alleviate that problem by increasing the amount of virtual memory.
Yes, I use torrent downloader, but always make sure that it's not active when trying to use the file that was downloaded ( did the same on the AC87)
Nothing else installed right now on the AC86.
I use KODI on MiBox AndroidTV box to stream the file. The AC87 never had any problems to stream even large DVD rips or 4K mkv