What's new

Christmas & Boxing Day 2023 are approaching, how to secure against the IOT app?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ElonMusty

Occasional Visitor
TLDR:
What are the best ways to lock down an IOT app on a phone that normally accesses the main home network? This best way is for my edutaiment. For this personal project, what is a moderately effective way to lock down such an IOT app? This way must balance both security and convenience? I think this will be the implementation needed for the average home user with a cell full of these types of IOT apps.

Hi everyone.

Within the month, many of us will be called to assist family and friends with their new IOT holiday gifts.

This past Black Friday, a close friend, with limit resources, purchased an inexpensive wireless NVR and wireless 5MP camera system. The price paid was fantastic. I have the chore, I mean task, of making it work. I know many here avoid these inexpensive IOT devices, wifi surveillance "security" systems and consumer grade networking gear. These are the tools I must work with, no funds for anythng better.

The current network consists of an ATT BGW-210 (wifi5 gateway and switch) and an Asus RT-N66.

I am still working out the easiest and safest plan. Right now, I plan to move all the IOT devices, the IP cameras and the W-NVR to its own LAN. This physical LAN will be manged by the RT-N66, but it will run an up-to-date and actively supported third party firmware. I have some ideas on the network setup. Where I can use the help of this formum is the remote camera view app. This app will run on her phone, which will be attached to the main/home LAN. If she hears a sound in the middle of the night, she will give the IP camera system app the credentials for her main SSID. The camera system is propritary, so *I think* the app is the only way to access the IP cams. Currently all her IOT devices are on the main network. These devices currently consist of lightbulbs, streaming devices and the old styled DirectTV hub that communicates to the satelltie Genie devices. Sadly, each of these devices has it own app.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Multiple (sketchy) apps, phones (Apple or Android, doesn't matter) and IoT devices equal NO SECURITY. (I'm not shouting, just emphasizing).

When you connect to the internet with any of these active/running, security goes out the Window.

When you install any app, the same thing.

There is nothing to do with a closed-source system. Expecting that you'll get hacked is the safest guard for when it happens (not if).

I don't think your end goal is achievable in the long run.

TLDR:
What are the best ways to lock down an IOT app on a phone that normally accesses the main home network? This best way is for my edutaiment. For this personal project, what is a moderately effective way to lock down such an IOT app? This way must balance both security and convenience? I think this will be the implementation needed for the average home user with a cell full of these types of IOT apps.

Hi everyone.

Within the month, many of us will be called to assist family and friends with their new IOT holiday gifts.

This past Black Friday, a close friend, with limit resources, purchased an inexpensive wireless NVR and wireless 5MP camera system. The price paid was fantastic. I have the chore, I mean task, of making it work. I know many here avoid these inexpensive IOT devices, wifi surveillance "security" systems and consumer grade networking gear. These are the tools I must work with, no funds for anythng better.

The current network consists of an ATT BGW-210 (wifi5 gateway and switch) and an Asus RT-N66.

I am still working out the easiest and safest plan. Right now, I plan to move all the IOT devices, the IP cameras and the W-NVR to its own LAN. This physical LAN will be manged by the RT-N66, but it will run an up-to-date and actively supported third party firmware. I have some ideas on the network setup. Where I can use the help of this formum is the remote camera view app. This app will run on her phone, which will be attached to the main/home LAN. If she hears a sound in the middle of the night, she will give the IP camera system app the credentials for her main SSID. The camera system is propritary, so *I think* the app is the only way to access the IP cams. Currently all her IOT devices are on the main network. These devices currently consist of lightbulbs, streaming devices and the old styled DirectTV hub that communicates to the satelltie Genie devices. Sadly, each of these devices has it own app.

Thanks.
Impossible.

@L&LD, I understand the emphasis.
Well darn!!!

With these mobile apps, it appears we are back to the early days of PC virus. You remember, where you had to have a separate computer and a live CD to do your financial work.

Thanks @L&LD & @follower for your feedback.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!