What's new

Chromecast Audio?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chufi

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I have a RT-AC86U running 382.1_2 and have been having issues with chromecast audio. Basically from apps on the phone I will at times not get a cast menu and no devices can be found. In that situation if I reboot the phone nothing changes, but if I reboot the router then all the devices show up again. I should be running the stock settings (minus changing the SID and passwords for 2.4 and 5 and setting up 2.4 and 5 guest networks) . Any tips on getting it to work?

Basically from apps on the phone I will at times not get a cast menu and no devices can be found.
I have this problem sometimes too - do you have the newest Chromecast, or the OG Chromecast ? I have the older model and it only does 2.4, not 5. Anyway I would double-check the SSID it's connected to and see if the phone/tablet is on the same freq, it doesn't matter because the router can bridge internally between 2.4 and 5 devices but sometimes that was my issue and may be a starting point for your troubleshooting. Sometimes it was because Chromecast had been asleep for days/weeks and the router seemed to forget where it was. Could also be ipv6 on your network.

You can also hit refresh on the Chromecast menu on the phone/tablet instead of restarting the router. I've done that plenty of times to wake up the Chromecast. Also, I have IGMP snooping disabled on both frequencies [AC68U, Wireless -> Professional] because I don't have numerous devices connected, but I have seen it in the past recommended somewhere for Chromecast.

You said everything is default so I'm really not sure why Chromecast is not responding. Try refreshing from the menu, or restart the Chromecast instead of restarting the router, it's faster.

I have Chromecast Audio which I think is 2.4 and 5 and they are on the 5 network and snooping looks like it is disabled.

It usually 'just works' but when it doesn't then I have the router restart needed.

Do you have more than one router? My parents had the same problem. When I looked at their setup, my dad had 2 different routers connected, but all functioning as routers, so he really had 2 different networks, and depending on which one his phone connected it, it may or may not have been able to talk to his other devices. I changed the 2nd router to AP mode and it fixed the problem.

I sent back a Netgear Orbi RBK50 system because it was self-rebooting every three or four hours. I have three Chromecast Audio units and two Chromecast Video units. I wonder if my Chromecasts were what were killing my Orbi. Replaced the Orbi with an Asus RT-AC3100 and have seen zero self-reboots.

I wonder if enabling IGMP Snooping would prevent the multicast flood locking things up. It's one thing I've never enabled in months of trying to figure out why my wifi was being flakey. Or, maybe the CPU load of IGMP Snooping trying to sort out the flood of mDNS packets would just break things in a different way.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!