What's new

Cisco 7912 IP Phones

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

slim2015

Occasional Visitor
I've setup a few cisco 7912 phones with their own extension numbers. The problem I'm having is that sometimes the phones don't ring. The phones have the latest SIP firmware installed on them, 8.0.1(060412A) .
The main phone is a Yealink, that phone never fails to ring.

No, the PBX is located on the suppliers side. The supplier is ashnah.com and have no access to the PBX configuration. Recently, when forwarding a call to another extension there is silence for a few seconds then the voice comes through. I personally think there something wrong with the sip providers side.

What router are you using for your local network?
Some routers have big problems with sip/voip. Router distros even more so.
The problem is exactly as you describe: if more than one phone, not working properly.

Last edited:
This is the order it's connected.

BT Business Hub 5 ---> NETGEAR ROUTER WNR2200 -----> PROCURVE SWITCH 2610 24-PWR ------> Cisco Phone

I never used that model from Netgear.
One thing I can tell you is that many consumer routers have problems with SIP/VoIP. Especially TP-Link and some older Linksys/Cisco.
Asus routers never failed me with SIP/VoIP.
If you can, test your setup with an Asus router, like RT-N66U/RT-AC68U, etc.

I don't have any of these lying around but I have my own AC87, which I might try or I might just check on the net and find a used one.

Thanks for your time in helping me troubleshoot this problem, I really appreciate it.

I know it's a few months old now but I thought I just update how I fixed the problem. It was bloody phones! The Cisco 7912 are crappy phones, I've replaced them with SPA303 and everything is working fine now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!