What's new

Cisco RV260P and 2 WAP581 APs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
Anybody running a Cisco RV260P router? It seems like an easy way to setup a small home multiple wireless system. If I did not like layer 3 switches so much I would try it. Use 1 Cisco RV260P and a couple of Cisco WAP581 wireless APs. The RV260P has POE+ power to run the wireless APs built-in. Just plug and go. The RV260P is limited and can't do a complete gig which I wish Cisco would fix it next go around but it is almost there. I bet you could buy this for less than a grand and have a real stable platform that just runs like an appliance in the background. It would be easy to add more wireless APs. Just plug the new AP in and join the single point setup and you are done.

Anybody running a Cisco RV260P router? It seems like an easy way to setup a small home multiple wireless system. If I did not like layer 3 switches so much I would try it. Use 1 Cisco RV260P and a couple of Cisco WAP581 wireless APs. The RV260P has POE+ power to run the wireless APs built-in. Just plug and go. The RV260P is limited and can't do a complete gig which I wish Cisco would fix it next go around but it is almost there. I bet you could buy this for less than a grand and have a real stable platform that just runs like an appliance in the background. It would be easy to add more wireless APs. Just plug the new AP in and join the single point setup and you are done.

I have one question to this: why would you still invest in a router that cannot handle 1Gbps as clearly all ISP's are moving into that direction and at least and wired connections, you would want to be able max out your ISP rated speed on your LAN, or not?

Yes I think it was a mistake not to handle a gig connection. It is close. The great part is a Cisco RV260P router with POE+ built-in that is very simple to setup. Add a Cisco WAP581 wireless AP and you will have a stable system for around the same money as the top consumer routers. Both Cisco devices are very simple to install as the wizards do all the work. And all you have to do is plug them together. There is no controller or injector to mess with. If you need a second wireless AP it is very simple to add and will give you reliable service for a large home. This system will be much more reliable than a consumer system especially with a second wireless AP. I would probably do this if it was not my love for layer 3 switches. I can't get gig fiber right now the same as a lot of people.

Last edited:
Yes I think it was a mistake not to handle a gig connection. It is close

I don't think this is a mistake - consumer 1GB connections are up to 1GB, not 1GB as a service level commitment...

I don't think this is a mistake - consumer 1GB connections are up to 1GB, not 1GB as a service level commitment...
That is true. My 1Gbps connection gets to 920Mbps at best but closer to 850Mbps. However, ISP speed offerings are increasing rapidly, at least over here in Europe, and i wouldn't want to invest in hardware that would become the bottleneck in the near future. After all, Cisco stuff is not the cheapest on the block.

Provantage has the Cisco RV260P with POE+ support to run a wireless AP for less than $200. People are spending more than $200 for home consumer routers with less future and upgrade paths. I would buy a Cisco WAP581 wireless AP to plug in and go. eBay has had the WAP581 for around $100. I run 2 WAP581 at my house as I have a large home and they work well.

https://www.provantage.com/cisco-systems-rv260p-k9~7CSC8WYW.htm

Last edited:
Provantage has the Cisco RV260P with POE+ support to run a wireless AP for less than $200. People are spending more than $200 for home consumer routers with less future and upgrade paths. I would buy a Cisco WAP581 wireless AP to plug in and go. eBay has had the WAP581 for around $100. I run 2 WAP581 at my house as I have a large home and they work well.

https://www.provantage.com/cisco-systems-rv260p-k9~7CSC8WYW.htm
That is true. I am very happy with my WAP571's. Not the latest tech but very robust and stable.