What's new

Cisco RV340 Router New Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
There is a new firmware for the Cisco RV340 router. This included the whole RV340 family. It is 1.0.03.17 version. There is a long list of fixes. It also recommends resetting the router and entering a new config by hand. Your config will upgraded but not recommended. If you try to down grade the config will be lost.

This firmware was released a few days ago. There is an enhancement from ASDv2 to ASDv3.

Attachments

• Capture19.PNG
    Capture19.PNG
    52.5 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
I tried to upgrade my router in place and had a low memory error message. I tried from both Cisco and from the firmware being on my PC. Both gave me an error. I rebooted the router and it took the upgrade. I had 200+ days of up time so I guess Cisco has a small memory leak.

Next I need factory reset.

I guess I should add the GUI interface seems faster now on firmware 1.0.03.17.

@coxhaus, it's the reboot! (As RMerlin would say). :)

I have now finished a config from scratch with factory reset. All seems to be working.

Cisco changed the GUI to a new format last release and it was a little slow. It seems all better now and runs faster.

Anyone else seeing slower download speeds after the upgrade? I seem to be "capped" at about 125 down …...

did you do a factory reset and manually re-enter the config ?
that usually avoids the issue.

I am not seeing any cap on my RV340 router. It is running fine. If anything is feels smoother so I think it is running better.

did you do a factory reset and manually re-enter the config ?
that usually avoids the issue.
I did not no - I just did the firmware upgrade. Why would this be necessary? I am assuming that a manually entering the config means no restore function?

Will I lose my threat/IPS license or whatever it is called?

Last edited:
i don't work for cisco, but it has long been recommended practice for any firmware upgrade to avoid random issues. Entries in the configuration can change between versions, so i have been told, and restoring the config file from an earlier version may not lead to the configuration working properly.

what is your ISP quoted rate and what were you getting through your RV before the update ?

what do you get if you connect directly to the ISP device and run the bandwidth test ?

After you back up the current config for the future, you might revert to the old firmware and restore your old config to see if everything comes back to the way it was.

i have used the classic sequence - shut down the ISP device (modem/router), shut down the RV340 and any other network devices w/o static address. power on the ISP device and let it complete. Then power up the RV and let it complete.

You mention that your are using the threat/IPS feature-"security services" i believe - if there is something running in the router, my experience was that it would slow throughput down by 50 % or more. there was a bugfix mentioned by the OP posting. So, you can try turning that off. Maybe the connection or IPS server throughput is running slow due to higher overall demand now or Cisco did not really fix it.

Any QOS selected ? turn it off.

Any load sharing turned on ? disable it.

What other features are you using ?

i would start from a base without anything turned on in the router and see what you get. Then add back one at a time and see what the hog is. Basic firewall rules should not make a difference.

Hi, I am with Rogers (Canada) and have 1Gb down, 20Mb up. I typically will get (with all features on the router I use) about 700-850 down (time of day dependent) and 30 Up.

I did a few tests with IPS and Anti-Virus turned off and was getting about 240 down, 30 up. Modem is bridged so I would need to undo that to get a speed with the router out of the loop. Direct from the Router to my PC is no different than through the switch and to my PC (GB Switch). With IPS and Anti-Virus enabled about 130 down, 30 up. No QoS or load sharing or really any other advanced features enabled. I will reboot the entire system, modem, router and switch next to see if anything changes but no so keen on reverting to a previous FW if I do not really have to.

I really am starting to wonder if the ISP has just turned down the tap with everyone working from home / streaming Netflix etc ………...

Thanks for the suggestions - please keep them coming. Jason

Thx. Re-booted everything from modem through switch and no change. Will try reverting back another day. Thanks for everyone's help.

Anyone else seeing slower download speeds after the upgrade? I seem to be "capped" at about 125 down …...

Did you figure this out? I never did see anything posted out on the Cisco small business forums under routers.

No -not really. Talking with the neighbors and having my ISP out to verify the line signals I am convinced it is a provisioning issue and not the router itself. It just so happened that the general downturn in internet speed (across the neighborhood) and the firmware update coincided.

Bottom line, I feel the router is working as advertised it my ISP that is the issue.