What's new

Cisco RVS4000 turn into a switch?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pehrlabel

New Around Here
Hi guys, you have helped me out through the forums before, and I'm so grateful.

I have a Cisco RVS4000 plugged into another router that is already acting as the gateway and doing the DHCP. So I just want to turn this RVS4000 into a switch, which I think is the same as putting it into Bridge Mode.

I can't figure it out! I've turned other routers into switches before by turning off services. I can't do it on this one and I feel stupid.

I've changed the setting from "Gateway" to "Router" and I've disabled DHCP. What else can I do? This is going into someone's office and we just need it because the router in the main room is out of connections, so we want to plug a NAS and a printer into this RVS4000, and just have everything work.

If I plug either the printer or the NAS into the ethernet directly, they work. If I plug my laptop into the RVS4000 it can communicate just fine. But the printer and NAS don't show up if i plug the RVS4000 into the ethernet and then plug those two devices into the RVS4000.

Do I need to go into my real router and give this RVS4000 a static IP out of the range of the DHCP? I read the manual and I searched the forums already and can't find a solution yet...

thanks! adam

Last edited:
Using the RVS4000 WAN port as the uplink can cause the problem you described. Try it again with everything on the LAN ports.

Reset the 4000 to defaults.
Now, reassign its LAN IP so it's in the same range as your primary router, but that the last octet is different, and outside the primary routers DHCP pool.
Example...the Linksys will default to 192.168.1.1, say your primary router also has a LAN IP of 192.168.1.1...you can't uplink them via LAN ports because your network will grind to a halt with an IP conflict. So change your 4000 to something like 192.168.1.2 (assuming .2 isn't used by anything else). Ensure that it's DHCP service is disabled. Now uplink them via LAN ports.

So all three of you helped me! Thanks! Everything's working right now by following your tips 'n' links.

These companies keep moving in to the floor I'm working on, and everybody wants to get on this internet connection. So pretty soon I'm gonna have to start getting even crazier and adding virtual networks to keep the companies separate. We already have 3 switches but everybody can still see each others' computers. it's getting wild, but I'm confident since I read these forums. Thanks again.

Last edited: