What's new

Cisco Small Buisness Switches and IP Phones

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
Anybody using a Cisco small business switch with IP phones?

There seems to be 2 setups for IP phones. You can use Smartport or Telephony OUI. They are mutually exclusive. Which way did you go on setting up your IP phones? Are you using more than 1 switch?

@coxhaus - No direct experience myself but in case you haven't seen it here's a reference from /r/networking which basically says if you've got Cisco IP phones, smartport should work, otherwise go the OUI route and add yourself. But the most optimal solution might be to have the phone(s) themselves do DSCP packet marking, taking the recognition responsibility off the switches completely.

I ended up using smartport and CDP. I turned off LLDP. I had to update the Telephony OUI hex bits for our Polycom VVW250 IP phones as the ones in the Cisco switch were old.

I ended up using smartport and CDP. I turned off LLDP. I had to update the Telephony OUI hex bits for our Polycom VVW250 IP phones as the ones in the Cisco switch were old.
Routers and switches dont do VOIP, they can detect it and modems can. However for some you can install it like on a regular linux box. All the switches and routers can do is detect VOIP and reroute/prioritise them accordingly to how you set, including securing it against unauthorised VOIP usage.

Routers and switches dont do VOIP, they can detect it and modems can. However for some you can install it like on a regular linux box. All the switches and routers can do is detect VOIP and reroute/prioritise them accordingly to how you set, including securing it against unauthorised VOIP usage.

Where did I ever say routers and switches do VOIP. IP phones do the VOIP and the routers and switches manipulate the voice traffic.

Where did I ever say routers and switches do VOIP. IP phones do the VOIP and the routers and switches manipulate the voice traffic.
if you're looking at managing VOIP traffic, plenty of routers and switches do them. For router its pretty simple to add if its not predefined, for switches plenty of them include VOIP for detection to prioritise or apply vlan especially small managed business switches.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!