What's new

Cisco Umbrella System

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is anybody using this? Cisco bought OpenDNS and I wonder if anybody is using this to block adult content for their home?

The RV340 router supports the Cisco Umbrella system. I have not used it as I am using QUAD9, 9.9.9.9 for DNS. But I am wondering whether it can be used at home.

I found this link. It covers a lot.
https://support.umbrella.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000411528-What-are-the-Umbrella-Test-Destinations-

using Opendns home for the past 10 years, at home for one vlan only, and works fine without paid subscription. Umbrella will set you back a monthly fee; not sure it if would add any advantages in terms of blocking content.

Is anybody using this? Cisco bought OpenDNS and I wonder if anybody is using this to block adult content for their home?

-

Cisco Umbrella is an enterprise solution and definitely not for home use. You have to ask for a quote , price depends on which package you take.

Enterprise Security
Cisco Umbrella provides protection against threats on the internet such as malware, phishing, and ransomware.

OpenDNS in general has provided some very basic filtering for me at home for many many years now. We looked at Umbrella at work, liked it for an additional layer of filtering on top of our proxy and firewalls....but then just started laughing when they told us the pricing/licensing model. They are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too proud of the offering. Their model may scale out well for a small shop with a few access points, but in an Enterprise with 3500+ access points...it just didn't work out.

I mostly use OpenDNS just to block the default bad stuff. I found their categories for other content to be a tad aggressive at times and since it is being done at the DNS layer, difficult to override specific sites. Block Gambling....now I can't check Lotto numbers nor can I get to Vegas hotels to book for a conference.

Yes when I ran OpenDNS many many years ago I had trouble with a few things which I thought should of worked. This was way before Cisco bought them. I guess it has not changed. It still might be good for kids.

I run QUAD9 9.9.9.9 now for a while at least. I wonder how they compare? I wonder if OpenDNS blocks malicious sites?

I looked at Quad9 a while back, but never did a direct feature comparison. Their network latency for me is twice what OpenDNS is. I have not compared DNS latency between them all....but based on other reviews/tests, I don't expect much overall DNS performance differences between them. I have also used CloudFlare's DNS. For basic filtering the bad stuff, they probably all work just fine. Just a matter of picking one and forcing its use by blocking other DNS at your boundary.

They used to have a pro-sumer umbrella product line that was $20 or $50 per year which included dns stats on your network and also could run their vpn on your devices which was nice for public WiFis. Unfortunately after the Cisco buy out they moved to a true enterprise product line and shut down their pro-consumer line.