What's new

Cisco WAP571 Using ETH1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jasons6930

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys,

Running the above AP and would like to make use of Eth1.

As far as i was aware, ETH1 could be used as another ethernet port, to plug in another switch or individual client.

Problem is, when i plug anything in, it makes the WAP inaccessible, and does not forward an IP address to the connected client. Unplugging and all seems to work fine.

I have had a look through the WAP settings etc, but can't see anything relevant.

Any pointers appreciated!

Hi Guys,

Running the above AP and would like to make use of Eth1.

As far as i was aware, ETH1 could be used as another ethernet port, to plug in another switch or individual client.

Problem is, when i plug anything in, it makes the WAP inaccessible, and does not forward an IP address to the connected client. Unplugging and all seems to work fine.

I have had a look through the WAP settings etc, but can't see anything relevant.

Any pointers appreciated!

The manual indicates it is for LAG only. ETH1 follows ETH0 configuration. No embedded switch.

@degrub

Ok thanks.

I've now ordered a GS105PE Netgear POE passthrough switch that will be powered using the existing POE supply to the WAP, giving me a couple of standard ports spare and a POE out to reconnect the WAP.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00J8NAWZ8/?tag=smallncom-21

@coxhaus

If you aren't having any connectivity issues then maybe leave it as is?

It seems to be a step up with regards to security.

I just found that iOS devices were occasionally troublesome when reconnecting after being away for a while.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/suppo...-frame-protection-mfp-on-a-wireless-acce.html

I wonder if you know you need POE+ power. I had issues with my WAP371 units trying to run on POE power. I would think the WAP571 would be the same. Cisco lists both at/af power but you need POE+. I had weird issues using POE power.

I reported it some where on this site.

make sure that switch POE power is for T ie high power, not the 15 watt power. the device needs more than 15 watts nominal, more like 20-25.

Also, a lot of times the switch will share power among ports, so make sure you have at least 50 watts nominal if you have 2 devices plugged into ports.

I wonder if you know you need POE+ power. I had issues with my WAP371 units trying to run on POE power. I would think the WAP571 would be the same. Cisco lists both at/af power but you need POE+. I had weird issues using POE power.

I reported it some where on this site.

Yes thanks for pointing that out, as i had mistaken it for a POE+ switch.

I think the description of it is a little confusing.

Order cancelled and back to the drawing board.

:(

Just get a poe+ (aT) power injector and install near the router. Usually around 30,up to 40 watts nominal. Doesn’t matter the brand. Just make sure the delivered power , not nominal, exceeds the wap571 required.