What's new

Clarity on tri-band routers with dual band nodes (AiMesh)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HellDiver

Regular Contributor
Currently I have 2x RT-AX56U routers, running AiMesh. I also have an AX92U which I don't use because with AiMesh 1.0 the 3rd band (the AX one) was reserved for the WiFi backhaul, even though I use ethernet backhaul exclusively.

I tried the Asus betas of AiMesh 2.0, but the WebGUI was still showing that the 3rd radio on the 92U was being used as backhaul, but my WiFi scans seemed to hint that it wasn't.

I wanted it to run like this:

AX92U - Radio 1 2.4GHz SSID | Radio 2 5GHz AC SSID5G | Radio 3 5GHz AX SSIDAX
AX56U - Radio 1 2.4GHz SSID | Radio 2 5GHz AX SSIDAX

Therefore, my question is this:

With Merlin 386.1 firmware on my 92U and 56U, how will the AiMesh behave? I am fine that SSID5G only be on the 92U, as it's only to be used for Chromecasts and those devices that can't cope with high channels (eg Huawei tablets, etc).

I'd try it all again, but with work from home and lockdown, there's not much time available to futz about taking the internet down and changing WiFi settings on devices for hours while I mess with this.

Thanks for all the useful answers, you've all been a great help.