What's new

Clean Setup with RT-AC86U 384.9

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ASadani

I was having issues with my 86u router after a few days on VPN where the internet would become unreliable with extensive packet drops. I have done the WPS Reset and performed a complete re-setup.

One additional anomaly I did notice is that when I did a reboot on the firmware the router went offline with all LED's blank. I know this issue persisted with others but this was my first. Can anyone confirm that this bug still exists?

I had to manually reboot the router to get it to work again.

Welcome to this odd RT-AC86U bug. I only recently found out about it the hard way as you did.
There's an evil daemon in that router, persistent to any hopes and prayers one directs towards it.

Welcome to this odd RT-AC86U bug. I only recently found out about it the hard way as you did.
There's an evil daemon in that router, persistent to any hopes and prayers one directs towards it.
You said it right. Yesterday when I performed a reboot, I was sitting there waiting and then thought that it is odd that I have to wait this long for this router to boot up. By the way I never had this issue earlier and I have rebooted this at least I'd say a 100 times so far. Mine was a chinese edition and had merlin with dirty upgrades. This was the first time I did the WPS.

It's also my main router and now that I know that it might not come up after a power loss or unexpected reboot, I'm thinking of degrading it to the growing number of test routers that I have.
I'm toying with the idea of aquiring the new beast on the block, the RT-AX88U.

Are those from a faulty batch?

That's exactly what I'd like to know. Unfortunately no further details are given there. I also suspect that for the same reasons no devices are available at Amazon Switzerland at the moment.

Edit:
Also, Amazon has apparently removed already written recessions. Until last week, there were about eight requests to speak from buyers.

:)

Last edited:
That's exactly what I'd like to know. Unfortunately no further details are given there. I also suspect that for the same reasons no devices are available at Amazon Switzerland at the moment.

Switzerland is a dark zone for Amazon, they will not deliver to our country for customs duty reasons. We never officially had an Amazon web store here and have used amazon.de and have them deliver to us. But this is no longer possible legally. So, no Amazon here. Good for the local trades.
And no, we are not going to join the EU just for this, in my opinion, minor inconvenience to go away ;)

@thelonelycoder...

But after all, that would be a good reason to join the EU. Finally, to buy duty free at amazon.de. Because sooner or later small Switzerland will probably be included anyway.
:p:D

Edit: Sorry for Offtopic ... ;)

Last edited:
One additional anomaly I did notice is that when I did a reboot on the firmware the router went offline with all LED's blank. I know this issue persisted with others but this was my first. Can anyone confirm that this bug still exists?

I had to manually reboot the router to get it to work again.

Yes it’s a known common problem. This occurs to me every so often. It happens even after clean upgrades. I’m still on 384.7. I like ASUS routers and recommend them to friends but these days I say buyer beware for the amount of bugs you may need to troubleshoot. Asus quality control doesn’t seem great to me.

It's also my main router and now that I know that it might not come up after a power loss or unexpected reboot, I'm thinking of degrading it to the growing number of test routers that I have.
I'm toying with the idea of aquiring the new beast on the block, the RT-AX88U.

Since my primary requirement is a VPN on these routers, I believe the performance output to my 250 mbps internet line on a single CPU would remain the same with AT-AC86U vs the RT-AX88U primarily due to the CPU Speed of the single core which is used for openvpn's. If the AX88U had a better CPU then I would try that out, but in my current setup, I can hit 210 mbps out of 250 on vpn which is very good imo. Earlier I had the AC5300 and that was clunky and very slow to boot. the TX Powers were lower than the 86u and with some modifications, it would suffice but then that support also went off.

But after all, that would be a good reason to join the EU. Finally, to buy duty free at amazon.de. Because sooner or later small Switzerland will probably be included anyway.
No way! This is a matter for the Swiss people to decide, not our government.

Already 2085 it could be so far (I believe). Of course, the people-referendum will be abolished beforehand. After that, the EU Parliament will probably be relocated directly to Bern. :p:p:p

;)