What's new

Clean Up/Upgrade Network Cabinet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JMB89

New Around Here
I am in the process of fixing my existing network connections, mainly because I want to activate more Ethernet ports as kids are older and can be trusted with computers in their room. Almost whole house (2 floors plus finished attic and finished basement) is wired with Cat5 and Coax with 2 wireless APs.

Cabinet:
2o" GreyFox (Legrand/Onq) Model F7810
1 Phone module (now is overkill as use cordless phone w only 1 jack connected to base)
1 8 port Cat5 terminating block (one connection not functioning) (model 363486-01)
1 CATV distributor installed by Comcast

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

Current attached devices:
In basement Network Cabinet
Comcast gateway (Bridge Mode)
Cisco 10/100/1000 Router
TP Link 24 port switch

IMG_1103.JPG

Kitchen: 1 Live Data Port connecting to 1 AP, 1 desktop computer
TV Room: 2 Live Data Ports, fed into 5 port switch connected to for: Smart TV, Smart Blu Ray and spare cable for connecting computer for watching certain random content or working in front of TV.

Home Office: 1 live data port; 1 8 port switch, 1 AP: PC, 2NAS, 1 Network Printer
Kids study area: 1 live ports for connecting laptops
MBR: 1 live port, 4 port switch, Smart TV, Smart Blu Ray

Basement: 1 live port; Playstation

In short this is what I want to accomplish:

Add another 8 port Cat5 patch panel to activate 2-4 more ports
cleanly mount both Cat 5 patch panels inside cabinet
cleanly mount Comcast's coax distributor in cabinet
figure out way to mount Comcast gateway, my router and my switch into cabinet (or a cabinet)

Options:
replace 20" with bigger cabinet and redo everything in new cabinet?
add second cabinet adjacent to existing cabinet?

What is best way to address? I am stumped about how to mount gateway, switch and router in this cabinet or a similar (but larger (28/42) one, and a rack setup seems like overkill

Thanks for all of your comments and ideas.

I would clean up the cable mess and mount all the boxes in the current cabinet and see where you are with your wiring. I would mount the equipment over on the top shelf on the rack. Your equipment will not fit in your cable box.

In the process of organizing think about adding a UPS to protect your network equipment in the basement and carry your network through minor power outages. UPSs are heavy so your if your basement is dry it can sit on the floor under the cabinet. If your basement might get wet then build a shelf to keep the UPS off the floor.

You can plug regular (no surge protection ) power strips into the UPS. Buy ones with metal mounting flanges so you can mount them to the wall or in the cabinet. This will help you organize and make all the AC cords neater .

Buy an assortment of jumper cables of various lengths to eliminate excess cable length. No need for a five foot cord if a two footer would work. If you have the tools, patience and skills you can make your own cables or shorten up other cables including coaxial cables.

Finally label everything, CATV cables, Ethernet, power cables, jacks, ports, wall warts, etc.

am in the process of fixing my existing network connections, mainly because I want to activate more Ethernet ports as kids are older and can be trusted with computers in their room. Almost whole house (2 floors plus finished attic and finished basement) is wired with Cat5 and Coax with 2 wireless APs.

Draw things out... that's the plan.

Once yo have an idea over the COAX, ethernet, Wifi, then you'll have a good idea of where to go...

I'm guessing it's a king of rats based on your pics...

ratking.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!