What's new

Clear, Delete, or Reset AiProtection's Alert Preference Information

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bennor

Very Senior Member
Either my search foo is weak or there isn't a prior question about this. How does one delete, reset, or clear the AiProtection's Alert Preference fields/dialog box to default/empty/blank? If one puts a email address and password in, there doesn't appear to be a way to remove it or to reset/clear the fields. Deleting the email and hitting the Apply button generates a message asking one to input an email address. I assume the workaround is to either leave the information in the fields and uncheck the Notification Items check boxes, or (I assume) clear the values somewhere in the firmware code/NVRAM. Or worse do a factory reset and reconfigure.

AlertPreference.jpg

AlertPreferenceMessage.jpg

Edit to add: Doing a dump of the NVRAM to a text file (nvram show | sort > nvram_show_ax86u_pro.txt) seems to indicate the following section where the AiProtection Alert Preference email address is stored in NVRAM values. Email address name redacted.
Code:
PM_LETTER_CONTENT=
PM_LETTER_PATH=
PM_MAIL_FILE=
PM_MAIL_SUBJECT=
PM_MAIL_TARGET=
PM_MY_EMAIL=XXXXXXXXXX@aol.com
PM_MY_NAME=
PM_SMTP_AUTH=LOGIN
PM_SMTP_AUTH_USER=XXXXXXXXXX
PM_SMTP_PORT=587
PM_SMTP_SERVER=smtp.aol.com
PM_USE_TLS=true
PM_day=0
PM_enable=0
PM_freq=0
PM_hour=0
PM_mon=0
PM_restart=0
PM_state=2
PM_target=
PM_title=
PM_type=0

Last edited:
Mess with NVRAM settings at your own peril. Unchecked notifications or factory reset.
Many if us have learned over the years that the alert email does not work and we do not mess with it.

Mess with NVRAM settings at your own peril. Unchecked notifications or factory reset.
Many if us have learned over the years that the alert email does not work and we do not mess with it.
Yeah in looking at other threads on that feature many have issues with the alert email notifications not working right. Didn't see anyone asking how to clear the values though in a search. Just a bit irritating that there isn't a easy way to clear the entry or reset the setting other than a factory reset. Or leave it be with the notification boxes unchecked. Stupid.

Little bit more on this. Looking at a default configuration RT-AC68U's PM_ NVRAM entries that didn't have AiProtection activated and did not have email address/password set for Alert Preference. The following are the NVRAM values (same number of PM_ entries as the RT-AX86U Pro):
Code:
PM_LETTER_PATH=
PM_MAIL_FILE=
PM_MAIL_SUBJECT=
PM_MAIL_TARGET=
PM_MY_EMAIL=
PM_MY_NAME=
PM_SMTP_AUTH=LOGIN
PM_SMTP_AUTH_USER=
PM_SMTP_PORT=
PM_SMTP_SERVER=
PM_USE_TLS=true
PM_day=0
PM_enable=0
PM_freq=0
PM_hour=0
PM_mon=0
PM_restart=0
PM_state=
PM_target=
PM_title=
PM_type=0
Performing the following NVRAM set and commit seems to have cleared the Alert Preference email information:
Code:
nvram set PM_MY_EMAIL=
nvram set PM_SMTP_AUTH_USER=
nvram set PM_SMTP_PORT=
nvram set PM_SMTP_SERVER=
nvram set PM_state=
nvram commit
Don't know where the password one inputs into Alert Preference is saved or if that is cleared by setting the above NVRAM values.
Post NVRAM edit Alert Preference dialog screen with email field cleared and provider reset to Google:
AlertPreferencePostNVRAMEdit.jpg

Post router reboot changes appear to stick.

Warning: As always editing or modifying the NVRAM values carries a risk of causing problems or rendering the router unusable. So use at your own risk. Don't blame me or anyone else for issues caused by performing such actions!!!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!