1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

client/bridge/wifi as wan Zyxel Z1 Armor (nbg6816) possible?

Discussion in 'General Wireless Discussion' started by benji, Apr 16, 2018.

1. benji

benji New Around Here

Got my hands on a spare unit of this model. I have a need to bridge a wifi wan connection to another router and was hoping not to have to purchase any additional hardware.

The original software looked pretty poor (a bit better after upgrading to latest fw). The two operation modes I have to choose from is Router mode or AP. Google hasn't been my friend, and the hopes of alternative firmware (openwrt/dd-wrt/tomato) doesn't seem to be particularly bright (though the Z2/nbg6817 does have openwrt support).

Anyone able to offer some guidance on whether or not this is possible with the model in question?

Thanks in advance.

2. Internet Man

Internet Man Senior Member

If you only have router/access point modes available in the UI then it's likely not possible to configure this model as a bridge. The hardware is certainly capable of it since Quantenna originally targeted bridge devices pretty heavily with their 4x4 chipsets. The Linksys E8350 has very similar hardware and it supposedly supports bridge mode.

3. benji

benji New Around Here

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the response I expected. It certainly seems a bit lacking considering it was also a top of the line router of theirs only a couple of years ago. I guess I'll look for some cheap decent wall mounted device for the job.