What's new

client/bridge/wifi as wan Zyxel Z1 Armor (nbg6816) possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

benji

New Around Here
Got my hands on a spare unit of this model. I have a need to bridge a wifi wan connection to another router and was hoping not to have to purchase any additional hardware.

The original software looked pretty poor (a bit better after upgrading to latest fw). The two operation modes I have to choose from is Router mode or AP. Google hasn't been my friend, and the hopes of alternative firmware (openwrt/dd-wrt/tomato) doesn't seem to be particularly bright (though the Z2/nbg6817 does have openwrt support).

Anyone able to offer some guidance on whether or not this is possible with the model in question?

Thanks in advance.

Got my hands on a spare unit of this model. I have a need to bridge a wifi wan connection to another router and was hoping not to have to purchase any additional hardware.

The original software looked pretty poor (a bit better after upgrading to latest fw). The two operation modes I have to choose from is Router mode or AP. Google hasn't been my friend, and the hopes of alternative firmware (openwrt/dd-wrt/tomato) doesn't seem to be particularly bright (though the Z2/nbg6817 does have openwrt support).

Anyone able to offer some guidance on whether or not this is possible with the model in question?

Thanks in advance.

If you only have router/access point modes available in the UI then it's likely not possible to configure this model as a bridge. The hardware is certainly capable of it since Quantenna originally targeted bridge devices pretty heavily with their 4x4 chipsets. The Linksys E8350 has very similar hardware and it supposedly supports bridge mode.

If you only have router/access point modes available in the UI then it's likely not possible to configure this model as a bridge. The hardware is certainly capable of it since Quantenna originally targeted bridge devices pretty heavily with their 4x4 chipsets. The Linksys E8350 has very similar hardware and it supposedly supports bridge mode.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the response I expected. It certainly seems a bit lacking considering it was also a top of the line router of theirs only a couple of years ago. I guess I'll look for some cheap decent wall mounted device for the job.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!