What's new

Client devices rx rates extremely low?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sdmf74

Regular Contributor
I just upgraded my cheap Asus rt-acrh13 router to an rt-ac86u and its great, im getting ready to put merlin on it soon but wanted to kinda familiarize myself with the router and make sure everything is working properly first.

So with my $60 asus router my wifi was rock solid, RX & TX rates in the client list always showed high numbers with the rx rates sometimes slightly lower than tx.
However with my new rt-ac86u my RX rate Mbps are really low most of the time (single digits) even when im close to the router & it is causing issues, not very many disconnects but slow loading web pages etc.

At first I thought it was due to the smart connect since I have no experience with setting the smart connect rules but it exhibits the same behavior with smart connect disabled. I have tried various settings & basic troubleshooting, flashed newest firmware, rebooted etc. to no avail, what am I missing?

BfcEQzo.jpg

Note: 2.4ghz band constantly drops to 1Mbps and the 5ghz band drops to no lower than 24Mbps

Last edited:
Check WMM (must be enabled) and auth - WPA2....

Those would be the first two things to check - 11n/11ac actually require these both - some clients are more particular than others...

MU-MIMO should probably be disabled...

I have tried the above suggestions but still cannot figure out why the modems recieve rates keep dropping so low?

I have tried the above suggestions but still cannot figure out why the modems recieve rates keep dropping so low?

I think some of the client list info is bogus. I wouldn't worry about it. If you have real client connectivity symptoms, then I would investigate those from another direction since the router client lists are known to be flaky.

OE

Good thought. If that is in fact the case then flashing to merlin firmware should resolve the issue correct?

currently using Version 3.0.0.4.384.32799

Good thought. If that is in fact the case then flashing to merlin firmware should resolve the issue correct?

currently using Version 3.0.0.4.384.32799

I would not make that leap in logic. I don't know anything about Merlin firmware, but my impression is that it adds some code and smooths some rough edges. I would not expect it to rewrite ASUS code.

OE

I noticed something else (unrealted im sure) but ocassionally when I switch tabs in chrome and go back to the 86u's gui tab under the proffessional header it shows a bunch of settings that this router & or firmware doesnt even have (a glitch in firmware?) ....very strange
In the screenshot the picture on the right is a ss of the actual settings this router has. The picture on the left is the extra settings that temporarily show when switching tabs.

Ive seen some of those settings (highlighted in yellow) on the web from an RT-AC87U or its firmware but I have never owned one

Brand new router has only ever had stock firmware and newest asus firmware loaded

jf1bxVG.jpg

Cant believe im the only one having this issue, I was kinda hoping it was just a glitch with the client list but I cant find anyone reporting the same thing online

I know exactly what you mean an had it too time ago, has gone with one update or maybe it was browser related! I use Firefox.
Seen it on older stock and Merlin in AP-mode (maybe not seen in router mode, I dont know).
But most times it only showed up short time and reverted back to normal look for this router.
As far as I suppose the firmware (these parts) are for many routers and options and only those related or allowed to change for your routers will/should stay visible.

Just noticed something else, if I select Legacy on 2.4ghz band and uncheck b/g protection then devices drop to 5.5mbps instead of 1mbps and the speeds dont jump around as much (of course it limits all my clients to 54mbps though.

All my 2.4ghz devices are b/g/n so I still havent figured out why some are dropping to 1mbps, even when they are next to the router?

All my 2.4ghz devices are b/g/n so I still havent figured out why some are dropping to 1mbps, even when they are next to the router?
That's normal. Unless the device is actually sending or receiving data in that direction the link will be "down-rated" (Adaptive Rate Selection) to the slowest speed necessary to maintain the connection.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Thats a relief, I just assumed something was wrong cause my other asus router didnt do this and I couldnt find any info online about it either. Thanks!

Now I just need to learn how to setup smart connect correctly

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!