What's new

Diversion Client exclusion setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cityhorizon

Occasional Visitor
I have followed the manual in setting up client exclusion but it does not appear to be working.
The adverts continue to be blocked on the excluded client.
I have an AX-88U router with Merlin 386_7 installed. Diversion 4.3.0 Standard, Unbound and Skynet are also installed.
The DHCP Pool Start address is set for 192.168.50.4. The pixelsvr address is 192.168.50.2. The client is set to use custom DNS set to 192.168.50.3.
What I am doing wrong? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2022-07-10 22_22_23-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX88U - DNS-based Filtering — Mozilla Firefox.png

Last edited:
Did you assign the device to use the set IP below on the DNS filter page?

And check the router syslog if Diversion brought up the separate Dnsmasq instance. Look for the set ip in the log.

Shut down and Restart (i.e. rebooting) is not the same thing anymore.

Either Shut Down your computer while holding the Shift key before you click on Shut down. Or, Restart to do a real, reboot.

To see how long your computer has been running (and whether it was actually rebooted or not), simply open Task Manager and on the Performance/CPU tab, look at the bottom for the Up Time (in Days: Hours: Minutes: Seconds).

How do I check the syslog? The interesting part is that it worked before I upgraded to 4.3. and to Standard from Lite.
In the routers web ui. Disable, then enable Exclude devices from ad-blocking in Diversion. The router syslog should show this line:
Code:
Diversion: started separate Dnsmasq instance for ad-blocking exclusion

Is it possible that this device uses a changing MAC address? On iOS devices one can enable a private WiFi address which changes the MAC address frequently.
Exclude devices from ad-blocking does not work if such a setting is enabled as the router ties the rule to a MAC and not IP address.

In the routers web ui. Disable, then enable Exclude devices from ad-blocking in Diversion. The router syslog should show this line:
Code:

Is it possible that this device uses a changing MAC address? On iOS devices one can enable a private WiFi address which changes the MAC address frequently.
Exclude devices from ad-blocking does not work if such a setting is enabled as the router ties the rule to a MAC and not IP address.
I have disabled and the re-enabled the eclude devices from ad-blocking and the photo shows the syslog log.
Code:

I have disabled and enabled the "exclude devices from ad-blocking in diversion". The result is syslog is shown in photo below:
2022-07-12 22_08_18-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX88U - General Log — Mozilla Firefox_cr.png

The client is HP laptop running Windows 10 and does not use a changing MAC address.
I still don't see why it's not working whne it worked before.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!