What's new

client isolation rt-n66u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ergoProxy

New Around Here
I need to isolate my old devices (1 tablet, 1 kindle) from the other devices (pc, mac, smartphone) inside my home network without using the wireless guest network. They should only be able to connect to the internet. What is the most effective way?

I tried with Firewall - Network Services Filter but I am not sure if it works.

example:
Source IP: "1.2.3.4", port range: empty, destination ip "1.2.3.4/24", port range: empty, protocol:TCP
Source IP: "1.2.3.4", port range: empty, destination ip "1.2.3.4/24", port range: empty, protocol:UDP

Thank you

P.S. RT-N66U Merlin 380.66_4

Last edited:
What is the most effective way?
A wireless guest network is the most effective way. What is stopping you from using that?

Network Services Filter only effects LAN to WAN traffic so it can't isolate LAN devices from each other.

A wireless guest network is the most effective way. What is stopping you from using that?

Network Services Filter only effects LAN to WAN traffic so it can't isolate LAN devices from each other.

I thought about creating a guest WLAN with the 5 GHz band that I don't use but my Kindle works only with 2.4 GHz. I think my main WLAN at 2.4 GHz (8 devices) would lose range and strength with a guest WLAN at 2.4 GHz (2-3 devices).

Moreover, I have a Canon printer (ethernet - isolated from the internet with Parental Controls) that I would like to isolate from a Chromecast (1st Gen) and a NAS (ethernet).

Thanks

I doubt that creating a guest WLAN will effect your range, but you could try it for yourself to find out.

Wired (Ethernet) devices cannot be isolated from each other because they are connected through the switch ports and don't go "through" the router. Wireless devices can be isolated from each other because it's a function of the wireless chipset. They can also be isolated from the LAN because they do go through the router.

I doubt that creating a guest WLAN will effect your range, but you could try it for yourself to find out.

Wired (Ethernet) devices cannot be isolated from each other because they are connected through the switch ports and don't go "through" the router. Wireless devices can be isolated from each other because it's a function of the wireless chipset. They can also be isolated from the LAN because they do go through the router.

OK I'll try! Thank you!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!