1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Client List from Command Line on RT-AC68U

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by KC KingC, Dec 7, 2019.

1. KC KingC

KC KingC New Around Here

Hi, I want to get a client list of wireless devices that are connected to my guest network. I don't seem to be able to find it in the GUI, so I am trying to find it via the command line. Does anyone have a procedure or command that does this?

2. jtjbt20x

jtjbt20x Occasional Visitor

One way (and the only way I know) is to go into the Wireless Log and look at the Station List. Guest network devices have a non-blank ‘idx’ entry. I only have one guest network so my guest devices have an idx of 1. The other devices have a blank idx.

3. KC KingC

KC KingC New Around Here

Thank you. I see that now. I am using a guest network to isolate my IoT devices from interacting with other devices (laptops, phones, etc.) on the rest of my network. I am able to export the Client List and manually correlate it with the the non-blank 'idx' entries in the Wireless Log. It would be nice if the Clients List itself showed which SSID the client is using...

So I went spelunking through the command line interface to find out how I can pull the client list and wireless log so that I can programatically create a list that shows all of the information on the Client List, cross-referenced with the non-blank 'idx' entries in the Wireless Log. By parsing through the index.asp file, I found the location of the master client list: /tmp/clientlist.json. If you parse the json file it breaks down the connected devices by connection type - 2.4 GHz vs. 5 GHz and also has an indicator for guest vs. normal network. It is too bad the UI designers didn't include that last bit in the GUI, because then I'd be done ;). So now I just need to figure out where the rest of the info lives (hostname, etc.) so I can easily pull that data in.