What's new

Client Names mostly just MAC addresses

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Andrew Vanderboegh

Occasional Visitor
Running RT-AX88U and just installed the latest Merlin software. Why do most of my client names in the Network Map just show the their MAC address??

Last edited:
Running RT-AX88U and just installed the latest Merlin software. Why do most of my client names in the Network Map just show the their MAC address??

Could this be because the clients have not yet asked for DHCP lease extensions, so the router does not know their details yet?

If this is the reason, the problem should disappear on its own after a couple of days.

If you don't want to wait to find out, you could simply power cycle the clients to force them to ask for DHCP leases immediately.

Same for me on my 86U.

Client list is bugged and need some attention by Asus.

Could this be because the clients have not yet asked for DHCP lease extensions, so the router does not know their details yet?

If this is the reason, the problem should disappear on its own after a couple of days.

If you don't want to wait to find out, you could simply power cycle the clients to force them to ask for DHCP leases immediately.

not here, I power cycled the clients.

It seems with Asus Repeater Mode, the Client List on the Repeater gets populated from the Primary Router as well including or Wireless clients connected to the Primary - checked with both Router's Wireless Logs see where each client is connected (I wasn't expecting this, with my old setup I had to actually log into the Repeater to see the individual clients connected to that router and those routers didn't list the clients on the Primary).

Anyways, the 68U gets most of the client names (and icons) for clients on it's Client's List, even those clients connected directly to the Primary. The 86U does not for many of those clients connected to it - But the 86U did seem to pick up a few names now since the 68U came into the setup.. that is what puzzles me.

Exactly
At each firmware upgrade, I reboot the clients and each time the list show the names normally , no issues here with the list

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!