What's new

Client specific VPN rules without Merlin on XT8?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

strtp

New Around Here
I'm thinking about getting 2 XT8 units to have better coverage in my new apartment, but I really don't want to miss being able to route some clients through my router VPN and let some use the regular internet connection. Is this possible with the stock firmware? I can do it with my AC86U with Merlin, but it's so long since I used the stock firmware on Asus routers and I can't really find out if this is a Merlin specific thing or available on the stock firmware as well.

FWIW…

I don't have that router, so I can't be definitive. But I did download the manual to see if it might provide a clue. However (and I just love this about ASUS, I see it all the time), it doesn't even mention the word openvpn, AT ALL. Neither client nor server. But I do see an image of the main menu where there's a tab for VPN. But that might only be for the OpenVPN server.

Regardless, in all the years I've been dealing w/ consumer-grade routers, I can't recall even one that supported PBR (policy based routing) w/ the OpenVPN client. And probably because it adds more complexity than the manufacturer wants to support. PBR has to be one of the most common motivators in driving users to third-party firmware. And even if by chance it was supported in the oem/stock firmware, you can bet it wouldn't be nearly as powerful and feature-rich as Merlin.

But as I said, I don't have the router, so that's just my best guess. But based on experience, I'd say the chances are very unlikely. But perhaps someone will happen along who can be more definitive.

I'm thinking about getting 2 XT8 units to have better coverage in my new apartment, but I really don't want to miss being able to route some clients through my router VPN and let some use the regular internet connection. Is this possible with the stock firmware? I can do it with my AC86U with Merlin, but it's so long since I used the stock firmware on Asus routers and I can't really find out if this is a Merlin specific thing or available on the stock firmware as well.
No, it is not possible. I needed to exclude de SIP ATA for voip from the VPN. It is not possible to exclude a particular device from VPN. All or none.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!