What's new

Cloud backup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

allexander

New Around Here
The accounts and other data of my company exceeded 100 GB. So I am planning to do some online backup from a cloud backup solutions in Oakville. My requirement is that the cloud should backup entire devices in my company. Since this is the first time, what all things I have to aware about in purchasing a cloud backup?. What is the use of cloud disaster recovery solution along with cloud backup?

Last edited by a moderator:
Volume like that, I would NOT use a cloud service. Esp. if anything is sensitive (client data, health, law, finance). Beware too disgruntled employee at cloud service - happens more than you'd think.

I'd use paired NASes on your LAN. And some sort of 5TGB or some such USB3 drives to simplify offsite backup.

For my low volume needs for SOHO, I use ADrive, for non-sensitive only. I do maybe 20MB per day.

You can also consider rolling out your own cloud backup. Two of my customers do it - they have a NAS at one of their employees/owners's house, and they do a remote sync between the two NAS every night. Having done the initial sync with the two NAS side-by-side, they only need to backup a few hundred megabytes per night.

Another benefit of this is a disaster recovery can be done in 1-2 hours (the time to go home, and bring back the backup NAS). Cloud based recovery - don't forget that full disaster recovery can be problematic if dealing with large amounts of data.

@RMerlin Can two Asus router do a sync between each others. This could be used as a low cost solution.

@RMerlin Can two Asus router do a sync between each others. This could be used as a low cost solution.

Smart Sync only allows to sync the USB disks plugged on the two routers, so it won't work as a backup solution for your LAN clients. I also wouldn't trust SmartSync in a business environment, both for performance and security reasons.

We should assures following things before purchasing cloud backup solution:
1. Cost efficiency
2. Reliability
3. Bandwidth
4. Recovery
5. Backup Speed

The cloud disaster recovery can easily maintain, reduce complexity easily implemented with reliability, scalable.

You can have all that and still have a 'cloud' provider disappear overnight (along with your data).

There is no 'great' cloud backup solution today. Only 'great' for the investors who want to see steady profits (not the users who actually care about their data more).

You can have all that and still have a 'cloud' provider disappear overnight (along with your data).

There is no 'great' cloud backup solution today. Only 'great' for the investors who want to see steady profits (not the users who actually care about their data more).

That can happen - I do leverage cloud for document sync across clients, but even then, local storage of that data is backed up in a two tier strategy...

There are a couple of focused cloud companies - Backblaze is one, Carbonite is another - but again, use those along with local backups as a belt/suspenders approach..

Stick with a tier-1 vendor. Do you think top names like Microsoft, Google, Rackspace, and other tier-1 hosting companies are going to pack their bags and slip out the back door one evening?

Your e-mail host can close their doors one night....leaving you stranded with no e-mail. (for the 99.9% of people that don't build/run their own mail servers)
Your domain registrar could close their doors one night...leaving you stranded with no domain.( and all that falls down with the loss of that)

I can type pages and pages of 'what if' ____"....but if you follow some best practices, one of them being..."choose tier-1 vendors" for your IT services...you can greatly cut down on the chihuahua shaking "what if..." scenarios, and have faith in your chosen products and services.

Tier 1 vendor is not a guarantee of anything. If you do not have actual possession of your data (in at least two different places, as sfx2000 also suggests), then you simply have misplaced faith that hopefully won't turn into a nightmare for you (but it can).

'Cloud' is the definition of 'control by others'. That is the position I don't place myself or my customers in.

Drives are cheap - data is expensive - whether cloud or a couple of high capacity USB drives - have a backup plan, and double it up...

Tier 1 vendor is not a guarantee of anything. If you do not have actual possession of your data (in at least two different places, as sfx2000 also suggests), then you simply have misplaced faith that hopefully won't turn into a nightmare for you (but it can).

'Cloud' is the definition of 'control by others'. That is the position I don't place myself or my customers in.

I understand the "warm 'n fuzzy" about being able to "see/touch" your server, or NAS, or whatever for storage.

However, on the flip side, many people, residential users, especially even more..small to medium business owners, mistakenly assume that they have "control" of their network. Just because you can "see" your server, or see your NAS on the network that you're storing or backing up to, doesn't mean your data is secure. Way over 99% of those have networks that are compromised. Their data "really isn't secure". Sure there's the well known stuff like various crypto-ware, but the majority of "bad" stuff is what sits on end users computers..that they do not know about. The amount of actual "spyware" that sits in stealth, gathering intel, uploading what it finds, is staggering. This isn't tin foil hat stuff anymore, it's incredibly serious, and incredibly widespread. The larger majority of SMB clients don't have the budget or resources to have an IT department that fully manages their network. Most just have plain NAT routers and traditional antivirus like symantsuck or mcrapee. Even those with UTM appliances at the edge, don't sit there and investigate the logs of in/out traffic closely, and take actions based on findings.

I'm old school IT...learned computers from the early days of working with punch cards, to cassettes, to true floppies, to 3.5" floppies, DOS, Win3, Artisoft networking, NT 3.5 and 4..and on up. So cloud storage is was a "leap in faith" for me. But I'm not going to pretend just keeping things local is by default safer than tier-1 cloud. The better cloud services have the resources to properly secure their data centers, keeping them constantly monitored, updated, hardware refreshes, etc. As well as...much higher security than home grown can afford.

2x levels of backup....yup, agree with that. We focus on DattoBackup for our clients...the best of the best of the best for disaster recovery/business continuity., so we have both local, and offsite. Offsite being spread across east and west coast of the US...redundant.

Keeping everything literally locally, in-house...not really good. Just ask people that lived through floods or fires how well that went for them.
For those people that raise their hand and say "But...I also take my backups offsite, rotate media". I've seen that fail a lot. Repeat.."a lot". Improper handling (just toss it in the purse next to the cell phone, or toss in glove box, heat, bumps...I've stumbled across lost of corrupted restore media), or not encrypt that backup media (can get lost/stolen), or of course human nature..."I forgot!" Often heard someone say.."crap..I forgot a while ago"..and as we investigate..that "last time" they swapped backup media was 6 or 9 months ago or much longer. I still vividly remember not long ago, having to tell 1 client that they lost all their data when the RAID broke on their server, and I asked her for her backup and she started to pause..then panic...admitting it was over a year ago she did it. She fell to her knees of the office floor when she realized how much Quickbooks data was lost.

I do not want any clients that will "do their own backup". Because I know, leaving it to human nature, it won't get done. our MSP clients get managed backup, backups we monitor each day, and frequently test.

I am also having a problem on my cloud on how to do backup because i have a large of documents need backup.

If you want worry free backup solution is complete backup solution.

How many devices do you have. Which devices are most important. Are there any devices which is only used to store like a file server.

I would suggest go something like Backblaze.
its all in one cloud backup solution.

I would suggest to go on year or bi-yearly so save money.

Also it has 15 day trial. In no time if you have decent internet upload speed. You could upload all files in a week time.

Also they have 99% redundancy. So no worries you files will be safe there.

Backblaze.com

They are not new being there for close 9 years.

still they run for 5$ a month for a single pc with unlimited storage. No matter how many internal and external storage box you connect to pc. Even if you have 10TB or 100TB they back up for just 5$ provided its not a NAS but usb or sata attached hdd.

Hope this solves your needs. Also additionaly. If you intend to share some files frequently. there is B2 cloud storage available with them which can used via API to push and pull data.

10gb is free . and it works like real cloud storage but at a fraction of cost.

Revert back when you can

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!