What's new

CM-32 AC2600?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stephen Becker

Occasional Visitor
Is there any hope for getting Merlin support on routers with built-in cable modems like the
CM-32 AC2600? I don't own one, but like the idea of a single device.

I would imagine the modem hardware has a dedicated firmware that is control by the ISP, so I would guess flashing the router firmware would be possible, but I suspect this router's GUI is probably a pretty substantial fork, so it may be too much work to bother with?

Is there any hope for getting Merlin support on routers with built-in cable modems like the
CM-32 AC2600? I don't own one, but like the idea of a single device.

I would imagine the modem hardware has a dedicated firmware that is control by the ISP, so I would guess flashing the router firmware would be possible, but I suspect this router's GUI is probably a pretty substantial fork, so it may be too much work to bother with?
Not gonna happen, sorry.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

There are a number of drawbacks with combo devices like that. It is usually a better idea to get a separate modem and router.

As you said, the firmware of combination cable modem/router devices is often controlled by the ISP. These devices only have a single firmware though since the same CPU is used for the modem and router functions. Notice that there are no downloads available for the CM-32 from ASUS. ISPs push their own firmware to the device and do not allow modification since that could be used to unlock higher speeds.

If the cable modem components fail or become obsolete then you need to replace the entire device. Cable modem circuitry is usually pretty resilient but DOCSIS 3.1 is already taking over in certain regions and this device is only DOCSIS 3.0.

The CM-32 contains the troubled Intel Puma 6 CPU with latency issues that could affect latency-sensitive applications like online gaming or VoIP calls.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!