What's new

Coax to Ethernet adapters - running into probs adding the 3rd, splitter?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jajohn2

New Around Here
I have VDSL through CenturyLink - I use an Actiontec c3000z. I have a 4 level home and relocated my modem/router to the top floor since I work from home and Wifi wasn't cutting it. That left a wifi dead spot in my basement where my sons room is. I bought a pair of coax/ethernet adapters and a Netgear Nighthawk wireless router for his room so he'd have both hardwired and wifi connections. Worked perfectly, my coax is all home run and at that point I was just using a barrel connector to connect the 2 rooms. (junction in the garage)
We also have a Ps4 in the ground floor living room and after Christmas I bought another adapter to have a wired ethernet connection there. I installed the adapter at the PS4 and swapped out the barrel connector in the garage with a 5-2400 MHz 2 way splitter and it worked perfectly. Except my son came upstairs claiming he'd lost internet. I disconnected the coax from the ps4 side of the splitter in the garage and the basement internet began working again.
Here's my question: Is being able to have internet connectivity at EITHER the PS4 OR the basement router (not both at the same time) because they are both connected to the same LAN port in my c3000z, or because of my splitter.
I saw a similar post addressing this, but I'm having a brain block on what the solution was after reading it over and over here: third-moca-adapter-wont-connect.62453
I drew it out so hopefully someone can see where I've gone wrong. Eager for the "DUH" moment because I'm sure its simple.

Attachments

• 3C9F5276-1C19-48FF-AD12-C35D655161C0.jpeg
    3C9F5276-1C19-48FF-AD12-C35D655161C0.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 129
It looks like it should work.

A couple of things to check. Using some short runs of COAX set up a LAB type setup and see if you can get it to work using your splitter and MOCA adapters.

If that doesn't work look at the setting for your MOCA adapters and confirm you are setup for multi point network. I have used MOCA but never multi point so I can't tell you what settings if any to look at.

One thing I also had to change was the 3 way splitter and use a 3 way splitter/combiner. This may help someone in the future running into issues.
He might have just lucked out with the ones he bought.
They might or might not be transformer coupled.

A good place to start might be to go back to that thread and ask him where he bought the splitter/combiners he's using.

He might have just lucked out with the ones he bought.
They might or might not be transformer coupled.

A good place to start might be to go back to that thread and ask him where he bought the splitter/combiners he's using.
Will do - follow up question, and maybe this is my mechanical brain missing something, but how would switching to that type of splitter affect flow in this case. I don't need the PS4 MOCA to talk to the Basement MOCA, they just both need to talk to my main AP MOCA right? the benefit of using what I assume he pictured is to make the ethernet signal omnidirectional vs. just back and forth to the main connection upstairs?
Just trying to avoid all the store runs if unnecessary

It looks like you may have a splitter rated for satellite instead of moca2.
try a holland splitter moca 2 rated and certified design.
No need for a poe filter.

Last edited:
It looks like you may have a splitter rated for satellite instead of moca2.
try a holland splitter moca 2 rated and certified design.
No need for a poe filter.
Thanks, this is the splitter I’m using. I band-aided it and got all 3 working by using a radio shack amplifier (using leftovers from around the house at this point) immediately prior to the splitter. I was able to get all 3 points to connect, although the basement (longest run) is only getting about 5mbps of my 100mbps service. That tells me atleast I have it routed correctly. If the splitter is the problem and contributing to loss, then replacing it may remove the need to amplify and keep more of the speed to the other Moca units.

thoughts?
B9498B26-7B55-47D0-9991-872ED341A0C6.jpeg
0FE8296E-ED8D-4D37-808B-0D3AE6B63FF2.jpeg

I bought a pair of coax/ethernet adapters ... after Christmas I bought another adapter
What specific adapters?

My first thought is in regards to the Nighthawk router. How do you have it configured, as a router or as a wireless access point? (The latter is the correct configuration.)

3C9F5276-1C19-48FF-AD12-C35D655161C0.jpeg

The RS amp needs to go and the splitter needs to be upgraded to a Holland GHS-2PRO-M or Verizon's MoCA 2.0 2-way splitter (or equivalent), but a short-term improvement might be to replace the "Ideal" 2.4 GHz splitter with a simple 2-way cable-rated splitter ... assuming the characteristics of the Ideal splitter are particularly hostile to MoCA signals, the cable splitter may fare better (short-term, until a proper MoCA 2.x splitter can be installed).

Or, a test with the Ideal splitter (while waiting for an upgrade) might be to reorient which coax leg is connected to which port, even swapping b/w output and input, and see how it affects the MoCA connections.

p.s. An alternate splitter configuration would be to use a MoCA 2.x-rated 3-way splitter with all the coax legs attached to the splitter output ports, and a 75-ohm terminator on the splitter's input.

Last edited:
The RS amp needs to go
It's tough to see the amp not doing more harm than good, as most amps are only spec'd to boost signals in the sub-1002 MHz range, and amplifier circuitry is usually detrimental to MoCA signals passing between the amp input and output ports.

edit: This thing may actually be amplifying MoCA signals, but not symmetrically; it needs to be eliminated to get right with MoCA.

Last edited:
Will do - follow up question, and maybe this is my mechanical brain missing something, but how would switching to that type of splitter affect flow in this case. I don't need the PS4 MOCA to talk to the Basement MOCA, they just both need to talk to my main AP MOCA right? the benefit of using what I assume he pictured is to make the ethernet signal omnidirectional vs. just back and forth to the main connection upstairs?
Just trying to avoid all the store runs if unnecessary
I don't have or use mocha extenders .

I have had several 75 ohm splitters apart though. And they are not all the same, nor are they all equal.
Some will pass DC to power a device at the other end . Some only pass power to one port. Others won't pass power regardless of the port. Some are a transformerless , others are not.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!