What's new

Combining 2 ISP connections from 2 sites

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MooseMan

New Around Here
I'm fortunate that I'll be able to spend about a month this summer working from a remote site in the woods. No cell service and a DSL line that is marginal. I have access to 2 DSL lines from adjacent properties, and Verizon's network extender does work well on these lines. My work involves a lot of phone time and the need to screenshare, which suffers greatly on poor connections.

Here is a link to a PowerPoint (hosted on OneDrive) with what I see as optimal configuration options.

http://1drv.ms/1KtzXYn

I'd love insight on:

1. what is the best option for this scenario?
  2. What is the best hardware to join the networks (I'm leaning towards Ubiquiti Picostations (omnidirectional) or Nanostations (Directional))
  3. What network channels are ideal for this config?
  4. Experience with Connectify/Speedify software routing / load balancing vs Asus hardware load balancing

The great news - the DSL lines should be upgraded with a Fiber trunk in the area so we might be going from a sketchy 1mbps to 3-4mbps, and there is NO wireless interference around.

Its not that difficult but i wouldnt rely on asus stock firmware for load balancing as they are still buggy in that area. You could install 3rd party firmware to get load balancing working. Both stock and Rmerlin firmware would not work well for dual WANs.

If you want to join networks wirelessly there is also mikrotik as an alternative. Both provide the same form of products. My recommendation is to use a satellite dish and currently mikrotik has high powered APs with wireless AC for gigabit speed connectivity. Mikrotik so far is doing better than ubiquiti with wireless AC. Using a high powered AP goes best with directional or dishes. Satellite dishes work the best in connecting 2 networks if you dont mind dedicating the AP to linking it.

It may help to provide a network map of how you want to join the networks whether you use DSL modems or wireless, Im still clueless.

For load balancing networks you can use mikrotik routerboards, ubiquiti edgerouters or even consumer routers with 3rd party firmware.

For joining 2 networks further away you can use fibre optics with SFP/modem, laser communications, ADSL or VDSL with modem, focused wireless using satellite dishes.

Thanks for the reply. I just learned that it will be OK to lay an ethernet cable between the buildings so that simplifies things a bit. Let me see if I can expand on the network map (not sure how to do this well so I'll try and describe what I've been able to refine as the optimal config):

• run an ethernet line from DSL router 1 east building to laptop in west building
  • run an ethernet line from DSL router 2 in west building to same laptop
  • use laptop running Connectify Hotspot and Speedify to perform channel bonding and act as router
  • connect a Ubiquiti access point (already own) to the laptop to act as wireless receiver
  • place a Verizon network extender between the DSL line and the laptop with QOS that favors the VOIP

At this point I'm thinking introducing a router with load balancing might just add complication. I'm more interested in the channel bonding for the extra capacity... unless the software based hotspot solution is too buggy. I've been testing it some and it seems fairly good so far. It does tap out at about 15 mbps (down from 60 mbps) which I won't receive in that location regardless.

My early tests with Speedify on a really good connection are showing latencies around 90 ms... plus my wife and I would like to have access to our primary phone lines while we are there. Just seems easier to use that.

Depending on how your application is going to be using the bandwidth, I'd use a Cisco rv082 or rv016 (more wans). If your application will need true channel bonding, this solution won't work though.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!