"Comm: tc Tainted: P W O" messages in the log

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Volt

Occasional Visitor
With Adaptive QOS enabled, I regularly get the "Comm: tc Tainted: P W O" messages in the log on RT-AX56U. They usually appear when playing media over DLNA using Samsung TV, but I'm not 100% sure that this is the root cause. This issue occurs on both 384 and latest 386 ASUSWRT branches. Does anyone know whether these are errors or just information messages? If I understand right, the "tainted" message per se in not an error, it can just mean that a proprietary kernel module was loaded, but who knows. Looks like they also appear on RT-AX86U, so the issue is definitely not model-specific.
Thanks in advance!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
If I understand right, the "tainted" message per se in not an error, it can just mean that a proprietary kernel module was loaded, but who knows.
That's correct. What this message is telling you is that the "tc" command has crashed, which is rather odd since this is just a basic iproute2 command using to configure routing and QOS. Never seen any other reports of crashes from that command, so it could be an issue with your router.

Volt

Occasional Visitor
That's correct. What this message is telling you is that the "tc" command has crashed, which is rather odd since this is just a basic iproute2 command using to configure routing and QOS. Never seen any other reports of crashes from that command, so it could be an issue with your router.
Hmm, probably you are right. But what I found is that the same problem is reported here for RT-AX86U (latest firmware), and another user in the next post (looks like he uses RT-AX88U) confirmed that he sees similar messages too.

Volt

Occasional Visitor
I think I finally figured out what is causing this error (for reference, I get exactly the same error as mentioned in the link in the previous post about RT-AX86, that is first goes the net/sched/sch_htb.c:568 htb_qlen_notify error, and then Comm: tc Tainted: P W O 4.1.52 #2).

In this post regarding the incorrect classification of traffic it was mentioned that the "Learn-From-Home" category is made up of "Audio and Video Streaming" plus "Web Surfing" categories. As a result, if the latter two are above the "Learn-From-Home" category, the traffic will never be classified as "Learn-From-Home". The opposite is also true, that is if the "Learn-From-Home" category is on top, the "Audio and Video Streaming" category will never be reached.

Previously, I always had "Audio and Video Streaming" on top of "Learn-From-Home", but placing "Learn-From-Home" above the "Audio and Video Streaming" category makes the issue disappear. I don't know whether this is an issue with firmware or Trend Micro signatures, but something's not right with how QOS categories are configured.

slyderz

Occasional Visitor
I think I finally figured out what is causing this error (for reference, I get exactly the same error as mentioned in the link in the previous post about RT-AX86, that is first goes the net/sched/sch_htb.c:568 htb_qlen_notify error, and then Comm: tc Tainted: P W O 4.1.52 #2).

In this post regarding the incorrect classification of traffic it was mentioned that the "Learn-From-Home" category is made up of "Audio and Video Streaming" plus "Web Surfing" categories. As a result, if the latter two are above the "Learn-From-Home" category, the traffic will never be classified as "Learn-From-Home". The opposite is also true, that is if the "Learn-From-Home" category is on top, the "Audio and Video Streaming" category will never be reached.

Previously, I always had "Audio and Video Streaming" on top of "Learn-From-Home", but placing "Learn-From-Home" above the "Audio and Video Streaming" category makes the issue disappear. I don't know whether this is an issue with firmware or Trend Micro signatures, but something's not right with how QOS categories are configured.
I will give this a try and see if it fixes the issue for me.

Volt

Occasional Visitor
Arghhhh, these messages appeared in the log again, this time after three days of usage. I give up.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!