What's new

Command line command not working (VPN)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dan Lundmark

New Around Here
Im running a AC5300 with standard, updataed firmware. I want to create a script in the end that can (via a button)switch on and off the routers VPN Client. Before that I want to check that this works via the command line so I log in via SSH (Windows 10 standard SSH functionality) to my router as main user. All that works fine.

I dont change to any particlar directory, just standing in the directory you come when logging in. At this time i write "service start_vpnclient1". Half a second later I get a reply "Done" back from the router in the terminal window. Fine BUT

Logging in at the same time in the GUI, looking at the VPN page (refreshinbg of course) the status is NOT updated for any VPN client (I have two configured). I also check my IP address and no change.

Manually in the GUI I can switch on/off with no problem and also see that my IP changes externally in one of the available services for this.

Any suggestions what Im doing wrong?

Sounds like a bug in the command line interface or the wrong command.

Last edited:
Sounds like a but in the command line interface or the wrong command.
Samir, maybe so, a bug can always appear.....but I wonder in a standard product being around many years, sounds a bit too fundamental to be a bug. My hope was of course that someone with the knowledge about the Command line commands in this product can answer, because I assume you dont know if the command is correct or not?
Thanks anyway!!

Yeah, but these are not commonly used features so they could have not been fully tested (which can sadly be the case for a lot of features on a lot of products).

Unfortunately, I don't know the commands or I would love to help! Where did you find out about the commands? Maybe we can re-trace those steps.

LOL! "Done. As in I've done received what you sent me." :D

I checked out the link, and let's start by seeing what we're dealing with. I'm trying to post a list of commands to try once you're logged in, but the forum hasn't been letting me. I'm going to keep trying...

There's 2 more that don't seem to be possible to post. :confused:

One is 'u n a m e - a' <--remove spaces except between e and -

The other is 'cat / proc/ version' <-- remove spaces between / and proc and / and version.

This should give me something to start with. I don't know what I'm working with, and I have very limited experience, but I think if we could understand the structure of the router software and how it works via the command line, that will help us a lot to figure out how to do what you want. :)

@Samir try using the Code option by clicking on the Insert icon beside the save (floppy) icon while in the editing toolbox. :)

@Samir Are you using the stock Asus firmware?
I don't even have the router--just trying to help out using what I've learned about doing this with routers with a command line over the years. :)

Oh, I tried the code tags--it's a feature of the cdn provider snbforums uses. Tim mentioned some workarounds in PM. He replied quickly to my issue. :)