What's new

News CommScope Adds Five Wi-Fi 6 APs To Its Ruckus Line-Up

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
ruckus-t750.jpg
ruckus-r850.jpg

Following last year’s introduction of its Ruckus R750 Wi-Fi 6 4x4:4 access point, CommScope is adding three indoor and two outdoor products to its Ruckus family of APs.

Designed and optimized for campuses, hospitality businesses, and large venues, these Ruckus APs include the following features: SmartZone Network Controller, ZoneDirector, RUCKUS Cloud, RUCKUS Unleashed, and network intelligence delivered via Ruckus Analytic’s AI and machine learning. Also, the Ruckus APs use an object interference minimizing tech called BeamFlex and Ruckus’ own Ultra-High-Density Technology Suite of services that help improve end-user experience and network performance.

These new Ruckus APs include:
  • R850 (pictured top): a Wi-Fi 6 8x8:8 indoor access point with 5.9 Gbps speeds and embedded IoT.
  • R650: a Wi-Fi 6 4x4:4 indoor access point with 3 Gbps speeds and embedded IoT.
  • R550: a Wi-Fi 6 2x2:2 indoor access point with 1.8 Gbps speeds and embedded IoT.
  • T750 (pictured bottom): a Wi-Fi 6 4x4:4 outdoor access point with 3.5 Gbps speeds and embedded IoT.
  • T750SE: a Wi-Fi 6 4x4:4 outdoor access point with 3.5 Gbps speeds, embedded IoT, and sectorized antennas.
Pricing was not posted at this time, however the Ruckus R650 and T750 are available now, the R550 and R850 will ship in Q2 2020, and the T750SE will ship in Q3 2020.

Good to see more 802.11ax APs being made, though it seems like it will be really difficult for them to sell any of these devices, as they either made a typo with the pricing, or are using a different currency because for units like the T750 is seems like they are trying to charge around $3400 for it.

They should at least lower the prices and maximize their sales by also targeting the same units to the home user market, e.g., lower the price to around $200 for the outdoor units, for use in back yards and other home locations, since that is a market where their is very little choice.

• R850 (pictured top): a Wi-Fi 6 8x8:8 indoor access point with 5.9 Gbps speeds and embedded IoT.
  • T750 (pictured bottom): a Wi-Fi 6 4x4:4 outdoor access point with 3.5 Gbps speeds and embedded IoT.
Wrong order. The T750 is the first picture, the R850 is the second.

Otherwise, great update.

They should at least lower the prices and maximize their sales by also targeting the same units to the home user market, e.g., lower the price to around $200 for the outdoor units, for use in back yards and other home locations, since that is a market where their is very little choice.
Ruckus is not focused on the home AP market, which is minuscule.

I like Ruckus really much, but I get an AP-555 (8x8:8 5 GHz, 4x4:4 2.4 GHz) for about 900$

What kind of densities do they get? Enough for a large party or is that extra?
They typically install an R-510 per floor, which means in theory they can service 2000 clients, as if it was a law school auditorium. I can't really challenge the setup adequately.

Lennar is the leader in certified home wifi. I purchased a $190,000 new concrete block home in a middle class Vero Beach area 2 years ago. Even their expensive homes in other areas get the same system. I believe they drive tremendous concessions from, ring, ruckus, & baldwin locks. Don't know if toll bros., etc., are keeping up. They still run lan to doorbell & main rooms. Some guys have gone into the ruckus switch firmware, but it's not worth the time and risk.

Ruckus counts their users using Marketing. Google it. They are good but their user count is fictitious. The R-510 is along the lines of the Cisco WAP581 wireless.

It is a bit misleading, both in number and in use of the word "users". It should be "clients", and the number should be quoted per radio, the way Aruba, Cisco and others do it.

Regarding the R510 vs the WAP581, the 510 is actually a lower hardware spec than the 581 in spatial streams. Hardware-wise, the better comparison would be an R710; albeit the interference mitigation on both models tends to be better. But that's where the similarities end, though. Ruckus is an enterprise-class product, comparable to the likes of Aruba or Aironet. Cisco WAP is not. Both are great in their respective use-cases; just different animals.

I am a ruckus partner and went through the training on these The 4x4 R750 will still be the goto for most high performance networks. I have 2 R750's running at home managed by the ruckus cloud and they are working fantastic. Ruckus works great in high end smart homes with lots of video streaming to smart TV's , cameras and IoT devices. The beamflex antennas still set them apart from other offerings and they prioritize traffic so video and voice never buffers or breaks up. Trust me if you want the best Wi-Fi it is worth it to invest in great equipment.

The 2x2 R550 will be the new mainstream Wi-Fi 6 AP I have not tested them yet.

Check out my blog I have does Wi-Fi 6 speed tests on the R830 (non certifiable version of R850) and R750 https://www.keenansystems.com/wordpress/blog/

I have them all up for pre order with pricing as of today https://www.keenansystems.com/store...d=&inc_subcat=1&manufacturers_id=&pfrom=&pto=

Last edited: