What's new

Compatible USB 3.0 Hub for Asuswrt-Merlin 384.19 on Asus RT-AC66U_B1 (Linux 2.6 Kernel)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

garycnew

Hi All!

As the subject states... I'm trying to confirm a compatible USB 3.0 Hub for Asuswrt-Merlin 384.19 on Asus RT-AC66U_B1.

Has anyone had any success with a USB 3.0 Hub using the above hardware and firmware?

Most that I've tried thus far have had stability issues.

Thank you for your assistance.

Respectfully,

Gary

Last edited:
Please upgrade your firmware to current 386.xx levels first.

Please upgrade your firmware to current 386.xx levels first.
@L&LD I appreciate the encouragement to upgrade to firmware 386.xx. For some, it takes time and testing to move from a stable, well-established environment to the next iteration. We'll get there eventually. However, the original question is related to a compatible USB 3.0 Hub for Asuswrt-Merlin 384.19 on Asus RT-AC66U_B1. If you're suggesting that you are aware of compatible, stable USB 3.0 Hubs for Asuswrt-Merlin 386.xx on Asus RT-AC66U_B1, I welcome your recommendations. It would be helpful to know whether there are compatible, stable USB 3.0 Hubs that transition well across the Asuswrt-Merlin 384.xx and 386.xx platforms. Much appreciated.

Sorry, but I don't use nor recommend USB hubs on (consumer/prosumer) routers.

384.19 is based on known exploits from over a year ago. I kindly suggest taking the plunge soon to test and verify the current firmware.

I would also be surprised if USB hubs were less compatible too (with the newer firmware).

If you insist on getting a USB hub, just buy serially from different manufacturers that use different chipsets (as needed), until you find one that works for your needs.

I use 384.19 on a AC86U with an externally-powered USB 3.0 hub by DLink, and since I added that (and added a dual fan to the back of the router), I have had no problems with temperature issues in the router nor with my external USB memory going flaky on me nor with the router doing screwy things. I use an M.2 NVMe SSD with a USB converter in a heat-sinked enclosure. Both the fan and the SSD are powered by the powered hub. That memory config would not work without a powered hub. I do not know how your AC66U will faire but so far my 86U has been solid since I made those changes. I'm using a DLink DUB-1340. I just looked on Amazon, this guy is really expensive. But the magic in not in that specific hub but the fact that it is a powered-hub that splits the external power to its USB ports as needed.

One last consideration: be sure your hub has a power adapter with enough current capability to handle all of the devices you plan to use with that hub. On Amazon I see that there are powered hubs with a 2A external power supply. That would work if you only need to supply 0.5A on all 4 USB ports. If you need to supply more current simultaneously, then consider a hub with a bigger power supply or one with a power connector that would allow you to replace it with a beefier power supply.

Last edited:
@TonyK132 Thank You. This is precisely the type of feedback I was hoping for. Do you have the older (Square Box) or newer (UFO Box) D-Link DUB-1340? Are you able to confirm that your D-Link DUB-1340 is connecting/remaining at 5Gbps speeds with your RT-AC86U? The USB 3.0 Hubs that I've tried, and have been flaky, have been externally powered; thus, I don't know that that is the key. However, the D-Link DUB-1340 appears to run at 5v/4a, so it could possibly be related to total current draw. Perhaps a better title for this post might be: Compatible USB 3.0 Hub with Linux Kernel 2.6?

@TonyK132 Thank You. This is precisely the type of feedback I was hoping for. Do you have the older (Square Box) or newer (UFO Box) D-Link DUB-1340? Are you able to confirm that your D-Link DUB-1340 is connecting/remaining at 5Gbps speeds with your RT-AC86U? The USB 3.0 Hubs that I've tried, and have been flaky, have been externally powered; thus, I don't know that that is the key. However, the D-Link DUB-1340 appears to run at 5v/4a, so it could possibly be related to total current draw. Perhaps a better title for this post might be: Compatible USB 3.0 Hub with Linux Kernel 2.6?
My hub is not square, so it must be the UFO version, although It is probably 4+ yrs old. As for speed, I have not tested. I suspect I would need 2 5Gbps memory devices that I could attach to the hub, run a router script or command to transfer a large file, and measure the time of the transfer, but I have not done that.

My hub is not square, so it must be the UFO version, although It is probably 4+ yrs old. As for speed, I have not tested. I suspect I would need 2 5Gbps memory devices that I could attach to the hub, run a router script or command to transfer a large file, and measure the time of the transfer, but I have not done that.
@TonyK132 It sounds like you have the newer D-Link DUB-1340. A real-world speed test would definitely be the best way to validate. However, you might be able to verify the connectivity information using dmesg at the command-line.
Code:
# dmesg | grep -i sda

@TonyK132 Which Linux kernel is your system using with your D-Link DUB-1340?

I have Merlin 384.19. I do not know what kernel is in that.

I have Merlin 384.19. I do not know what kernel is in that.

If you reboot your router, you should be able to find it in the recent system logs.

I do not know what kernel is in that.
You can also find out using
Code:
uname -r
in the terminal.
I'm running merlin 384.18 on a AC86U and I get
Code:
cuf@RT-AC86U-AD98:/tmp/home/root# uname -r
Probably the same for you.

Yes, I also get 4.1.27.

Yes, I also get 4.1.27.

Hmm... That's probably not a good indicator whether the D-Link DUB-1340 USB 3.0 Hub will work with my router as it's using the older 2.6 kernel.

Now, I'm wondering if/when I upgrade to Asuswrt-Merlin 386 on the RT-AC66U_B1 what Linux kernel that will update me to?

I'm fairly sure the kernel doesn't change with firmware and is fixed per model, at an sdk level

It sounds like I either have to find a USB 3.0 Hub that's stable under Linux Kernel 2.6 or upgrade to a router that uses a newer Linux Kernel. If the former, I have a USB 3.0 Hub that's compatible with more hardware, until routers begin adopting the USB 3.1 standard. As you can tell, I like to push old hardware to its limits. Decisions. Decisions.

Last edited:
What is the USB 3.0 Hub needed for?

@Tech9 I'd like to be able to run my Time Capsule (USB 3.0/Raid 5 NAS) and Entware Installation (USB 3.0 SDXC) both on the USB 3.0 port of my primary router.

You just got me thinking... I could shrink my Time Capsule Volume and add an ext4 Volume for my Entware Installation on the USB 3.0/Raid 5 NAS and not have to worry about the USB 3.0 Hub. It would probably be a lot more stable, too.

Blasted fundamental questions!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!