What's new

Compex WLE900VX as Wireless AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Speedy1205

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys,

I currently have a Asus AC68U Router which I want to replace. I have also a Desktop PC as a NAS which is running IPFire on it and provides Samba, DLNA, ftp etc. The Box isn't special (some QuadCore Intel CPU, just 4 GB or RAM).

So I wanted to buy a Wireless Chip like the Compex WLE900VX which is based on the Qualcomm Atheros QCA9880 v2 Chip. Now I'm not sure if this will have the same Performance as those Chips build into routers. From this what I understand those are the same and in AP Mode they behavior is the same as in a Router. So if the Card is in the PC I actual could turn off the router as this wouldn't be needed and the PC is running anyway 24/7 ....

Do I miss something or my thoughts are correctly ?

Thanks a lot for advice.

http://www.compex.com.sg/product/wle900vx/

The biggest challenge will be getting STA drivers that support HostAP mode that are compatible with your OS kernel...

Also note that while the card itself is dual band, in a HostAP situation, it'll be running in either 2.4 or 5GHz, not both bands concurrently - you would need one card for each band if you want simultaneous dual-band use.

I was reading some posts that they can run both bands at the same time. So in the hostapd conf file you could add different interfaces. Otherwise it would not make sense as I would need 2 mini PCIe cards with adapter to pcie. From what I understood Linux will create 2 interfaces for the 2 bands. I'm wrong?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I was reading some posts that they can run both bands at the same time. So in the hostapd conf file you could add different interfaces. Otherwise it would not make sense as I would need 2 mini PCIe cards with adapter to pcie. From what I understood Linux will create 2 interfaces for the 2 bands. I'm wrong?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Check with the vendor before you jump...

I will give it a try. The driver I can use are the ath10k driver which are included in the Kernel and the FW I found also already. So I wait for the delivery and will Update here with the success or not :)

So what is your experience with the card?
I'm thinking about buying this one into an Asrock Q1900 running Ubuntu 14 in AP mode ( connecting with Mini PCIE extender).