What's new

Complete n00b!3 to AiMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Spartan

I live in a 2-story house and my office is located on the upper floor where my main router which is the ASUS GT-AX6000 connected via LAN to my laptop. I get a strong signal in other rooms that are on the upper floor but downstairs there is a signal but the speed is very slow so I have a crappy Linksys VELOP router downstairs.
I am thinking of getting another GT-AX6000 since it's the best router I've used to date and the price is not so bad (I have 0 interest in WiFi 6/6E because when I tried it if the device is not in direct sight of the router, it has no benefits so might as well not have it).

What I want to understand is what is the difference between someone having his main router and another connected as an Access point vs AiMesh? How is ASUS AiMesh better? Does it allow me for example to have one SSID with the same password and devices would switch to the stronger signal accordingly when going from the ground floor to the 1st floor for example?

Finally, is it easy to set up? I know when I first turned on my router for the first time, it asks me to create a network and I don't recall it asking me if I want to set it up as a main router or part of the AiMesh system.

what is the difference between someone having his main router and another connected as an Access point vs AiMesh?
As a "mesh" you get some convenience in the administration and I think you get a better deal with guest networks than doing router + AP.

What mesh gives up, however, is the ability to independently configure the radios of the two units. Both sets of meshed radios will operate on the same channels in the same ways. That may end up working the best anyway in a given scenario, but how could you know?

Does it allow me for example to have one SSID with the same password and devices would switch to the stronger signal accordingly when going from the ground floor to the 1st floor for example?
AP or mesh, it works the same way (just like you said) between them regarding assigned SSIDs et. al.

If you have AiMesh-connected routers with wireless backhaul mode (not recommended), the node is simply a repeater (with GN1 network(s) extended to the node), but with a significant hit to wireless speeds when the node is in (heavy) use (each wireless repeater halves the maximum speeds possible).

If you use AiMesh with wired backhaul mode (highly recommended for ~600Gbps or higher ISP speeds), you can use wired devices (at full speed) at each of the router/node(s) locations. And very solid WiFi coverage when both routers are at opposite ends of the home (including being on different floors, too).

In any case, it is the client devices themselves that determine if they will switch automatically (or, fast enough, for you) to the stronger signal. That is not up to the router.

Buy a second router. Do not connect to its WAN port. Connect via WiFi and do a mock/temporary setup (just enough so that you can update the firmware to the level you want). After you've confirmed the firmware has updated successfully, perform a WPS Button reset on the router with it being in the same room as the main router. Don't touch it after it has rebooted. Don't access it via the GUI.

Go to the main router and in the AiMesh tab, select 'Add node'. Be sure you turn on the WPS option (if you've turned it off - and after the router connects, be sure you turn off WPS). Once the main router successfully connects the node, wait 10 to 15 minutes (let the routers do what they need to do, and let them settle). Afterward, unplug the node and put it in the location you want to use it in. Be sure you give it a few minutes to re-connect to the main router fully (at least 10 minutes).

If the node doesn't connect with the method above, simply connect the main router's LAN Port to the node's WAN Port and try again from the main router to add the node.

The main benefit of AiMesh is the ability to propagate the Guest Network 1 (of both bands) to the nodes. This is worth the price of admission by itself!

While an AP will give you control of which control channel to use and other minutiae to fiddle with, in most homes, a wired backhaul Aimesh node on different floors and opposite ends of the house will give an excellent network experience with minimum 'extra' interference for neighbors too.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

How to Connect an AiMesh Node

AiMesh Ideal Placement

And more links below:

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

In my limited AIMesh experience, it's better to have the controlling unit sited where it can get a good taste of the local airwaves, as opposed to being the one in the basement, say, if auto channel & DFS stuff are employed.

If you have AiMesh-connected routers with wireless backhaul mode (not recommended), the node is simply a repeater (with GN1 network(s) extended to the node), but with a significant hit to wireless speeds when the node is in (heavy) use (each wireless repeater halves the maximum speeds possible).

If you use AiMesh with wired backhaul mode (highly recommended for ~600Gbps or higher ISP speeds), you can use wired devices (at full speed) at each of the router/node(s) locations. And very solid WiFi coverage when both routers are at opposite ends of the home (including being on different floors, too).

In any case, it is the client devices themselves that determine if they will switch automatically (or, fast enough, for you) to the stronger signal. That is not up to the router.

Buy a second router. Do not connect to its WAN port. Connect via WiFi and do a mock/temporary setup (just enough so that you can update the firmware to the level you want). After you've confirmed the firmware has updated successfully, perform a WPS Button reset on the router with it being in the same room as the main router. Don't touch it after it has rebooted. Don't access it via the GUI.

Go to the main router and in the AiMesh tab, select 'Add node'. Be sure you turn on the WPS option (if you've turned it off - and after the router connects, be sure you turn off WPS). Once the main router successfully connects the node, wait 10 to 15 minutes (let the routers do what they need to do, and let them settle). Afterward, unplug the node and put it in the location you want to use it in. Be sure you give it a few minutes to re-connect to the main router fully (at least 10 minutes).

If the node doesn't connect with the method above, simply connect the main router's LAN Port to the node's WAN Port and try again from the main router to add the node.

The main benefit of AiMesh is the ability to propagate the Guest Network 1 (of both bands) to the nodes. This is worth the price of admission by itself!

While an AP will give you control of which control channel to use and other minutiae to fiddle with, in most homes, a wired backhaul Aimesh node on different floors and opposite ends of the house will give an excellent network experience with minimum 'extra' interference for neighbors too.

AiMesh Ideal Placement

And more links below:

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

Thank you so so so much for this detailed explanation and walk-through! Just what I needed! You explained it better and simpler than the ASUS manual would :cool:

Not sure about one thing though,

the main box from my ISP is located on the ground floor next to the door, from that white box, it has LAN ports that are connected to the router(s). So basically, the wall LAN port in my office upstairs where the GT-AX6000 connects it to the main white box which provides the internet and that's how the router downstairs is connected.

I am wondering when I buy the 2nd GT-AX-6000 and have it sitting next to my first GT-AX6000 and set up the mesh network, can I then connect it again downstairs with the LAN cable in the wall that connects to the main white box from the ISP or that wouldn't work for an AiMesh network and I'd have to figure out a way to connect it directly to the first GT-AX6000. I hope I didn't confuse you with all this.

No, it needs to be connected directly to the 'first/main' GT-AX6000 for AiMesh to work (at all).

If you have two Public IPs, you can connect both to the white box/ISP. But the two routers wouldn't be able to 'talk' to each other (they would be their own network, separate from each other).

Does your upstairs office have two ports in the walls? If it does, that second port can be connected to another (cheap and cheerful $10 switch) to connect the second router to the main one. ;)

Does your upstairs office have two ports in the walls? If it does, that second port can be connected to another (cheap and cheerful $10 switch) to connect the second router to the main one. ;)
Yes, in my office, there are 2 LAN ports next to each other and those ports are connected directly to that main white box from the ISP. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that $10 switch though, how would that help if the 2nd router is located downstairs and the outlets downstairs are also linked to the main white box?

I'm gonna have my ISP send a technician to see if he can help me with this connection but I'm interested to know what you mean about that switch first.

Use one of those Ports in the office to connect to the WAN of the Main Router which in turn connects to the ISP.

That second Port, connects to the LAN of the Main Router. Use a new switch in the location where the ISP is located, and connect the LAN port of the Main Router to the WAN Port of the node.

So:

ISP --------------------------------------------------------------Router's WAN Port

Router's LAN Port---------------------New/Different Switch------------------------Node's WAN Port.

Note that you might need to only buy a 1GbE capable switch to do the above (if your ISP speeds are 1Gbps or lower).

If you have faster than 1Gbps ISP speeds, you'll need a 2.5GbE switch in the middle, to get the full ISP speeds everywhere.

And, if you want to connect more 2.5GbE client devices at either router, you'll need a 2.5GbE switch at those locations too.

For a fully 2.5GbE capable network:

From the first Wall Port:

ISP---------------------------------------------------------------Main Router's 2.5GbE WAN Port

From the Second WALL Port:

Router 2.5GbE LAN Port------2.5GbE Switch-----------------2.5GbE Switch (at ISP spot)------------------2.5GbE Switch-----Node's 2.5GbE WAN Port.

You'll now have 2.5GbE LAN ports available at both GT-AX6000's locations, and also at the ISP location too (which can be used for other Ethernet Runs, a NAS, etc.).

You may need to first associate the AiMesh node first before you connect it as shown above.

Use one of those Ports in the office to connect to the WAN of the Main Router which in turn connects to the ISP.

That second Port, connects to the LAN of the Main Router. Use a new switch in the location where the ISP is located, and connect the LAN port of the Main Router to the WAN Port of the node.

So:

ISP --------------------------------------------------------------Router's WAN Port

Router's LAN Port---------------------New/Different Switch------------------------Node's WAN Port.

Note that you might need to only buy a 1GbE capable switch to do the above (if your ISP speeds are 1Gbps or lower).

If you have faster than 1Gbps ISP speeds, you'll need a 2.5GbE switch in the middle, to get the full ISP speeds everywhere.

And, if you want to connect more 2.5GbE client devices at either router, you'll need a 2.5GbE switch at those locations too.

For a fully 2.5GbE capable network:

From the first Wall Port:

ISP---------------------------------------------------------------Main Router's 2.5GbE WAN Port

From the Second WALL Port:

Router 2.5GbE LAN Port------2.5GbE Switch-----------------2.5GbE Switch (at ISP spot)------------------2.5GbE Switch-----Node's 2.5GbE WAN Port.

You'll now have 2.5GbE LAN ports available at both GT-AX6000's locations, and also at the ISP location too (which can be used for other Ethernet Runs, a NAS, etc.).

You may need to first associate the AiMesh node first before you connect it as shown above.
Thanks a lot again champ!! Can you link me to a 1gbps and 2.5gbps switch link from Amazon? And how many switches do you recommend I buy?

If you want/need 2.5GbE LAN everywhere (possible) in the home, you'll need at least 3 switches. If you only need 2.5GbE LAN at only the router or the node, then you'll need at least 2 switches. Why the 'at least' part? Because you may want them at other locations in your home too (and I don't know if that is possible or not, without a detailed diagram, of your environment).

The ones I'm using are 2x QNAP QSW-1105-5T 5-Port Unmanaged 2.5GbE Switches. Unfortunately, they're about double the price I bought them for almost 1.5 years ago.

But they're solid, reliable, and stable for me.

For a 1GbE switch, Netgear or almost any other well-known manufacturer will do. (Today, a 5 port or 8 port 1GbE switch is a commodity, and not anything special).

If you want/need 2.5GbE LAN everywhere (possible) in the home, you'll need at least 3 switches. If you only need 2.5GbE LAN at only the router or the node, then you'll need at least 2 switches. Why the 'at least' part? Because you may want them at other locations in your home too (and I don't know if that is possible or not, without a detailed diagram, of your environment).

The ones I'm using are 2x QNAP QSW-1105-5T 5-Port Unmanaged 2.5GbE Switches. Unfortunately, they're about double the price I bought them for almost 1.5 years ago.

But they're solid, reliable, and stable for me.

For a 1GbE switch, Netgear or almost any other well-known manufacturer will do. (Today, a 5 port or 8 port 1GbE switch is a commodity, and not anything special).
The 2.5GbE switch prices are 5 times more so I'm gonna skip that for now as I don't really need it, I thought of the future when my ISP might introduce faster than 1GBPS internet but until then I'll stick with 1GbE.
Would 3 of these do the trick?

D-Link 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Metal Desktop Switch, Plug and Play (DGS-105)

or

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS305)

Yes, either of those should work, even if I prefer the Netgear model myself.

Assuming you can connect the second Ethernet port of your office to one, and to the node's run too (at the ISP white box location).

But you may only need one though! Unless you need more than 3 wired devices at the main router and the node too.

(Don't forget each router has 4x 1GbE ports built in).

Interesting topic!

I never experimented with AiMesh but I currently have two routers available (GT-AX6000 and RT-AC86U) and want to give this a try, because my situation seems similar, with 1 big difference: I have only 1 wire from the ISP's router on the ground floor to my "office" on the (opposite side of the house on the) 1st/middle floor (where my single used router currently is located).

@XIII, you can still try things and see if your overall network experience is improved.

The easiest thing to do is move your main router to the ISP location and let it 'live' there.

Perform a full reset on the RT-AC86U and add it as a node (via the main router's GUI).

Now, move the RT-AC86U to your office and plug in your wired devices.

The signal should be pretty even anywhere you go within your home. And, you'll be able to plug in your NAS, etc. at the ISP location (hopefully out of sight and possibly a little more secure too).

The other option is to make the RT-AC86U the main router and put it in the ISP room (but I wouldn't recommend that (over the GT-AX6000 as the main router), but without testing, you just don't know if it will work better like that for you and your environment (as it will let you have the GT-AX6000 at the same location as it is now).

This will be a little bit labor intensive, but I believe it will also be a worthwhile exercise if you want to see the best possible networking experience possible in your environment.

As usual, take excellent notes (beginning with where the network is at right now), and don't forget to do full resets (if needed) to have proper test results (and conclusions).

Yes, either of those should work, even if I prefer the Netgear model myself.

Assuming you can connect the second Ethernet port of your office to one, and to the node's run too (at the ISP white box location).

But you may only need one though! Unless you need more than 3 wired devices at the main router and the node too.

(Don't forget each router has 4x 1GbE ports built in).
Perfect! I really appreciate all your help and the time you took to type all the detailed instructions. I ordered the 2nd GT-AX6000 it should arrive in the next 5 days.

Cheers!

AiMesh Ideal Placement

And more links below:

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

I followed the instructions exactly as you mentioned minus the WPS part. Upgraded both GT-AX6000 routers to the latest BETA v9.0.0.6.102.3506 then reset both.

I then connected the new GT-AX6000 after the reset via LAN to my main GT-AX6000, went to the AiMesh tab, and let it add it. After letting it settle for a while, I unplugged it and connected it downstairs to the LAN port on the wall which I had the ISP tech configure to connect it directly to a secondary LAN port in my office upstairs where it also connects to another LAN port on my main router, this way, they would act as if they're connected to each other directly (without buying that switch).

I did a speedtest on my Google Pixel 7 Pro upstairs near the main router and got 750 MBPS, then I went down and did a test right away and the speed remained the same! very happy with this setup!

Never had such a low latency before, it was 7 to 8 ms unloaded, and now it's 5 ms

2023-01-05_20h38_08.png

Thank you so much once again for making this a simple and seamless upgrade!

Last edited:
@XIII, you can still try things and see if your overall network experience is improved.
  • By moving the GT-AX6000 downstairs (as main router) and putting the AC86U on its place on the middle floor (as a wired node) I did get better throughput in the living room (ground floor), but worse results in the attic.
  • My MacBook Pro on the ground floor now often connects to the 2.4 GHz of the AC86U on the middle floor instead of the 5 GHz of the GT-AX6000 on the ground floor... (unless I disable Smart Connect)
  • A brief experiment with v9.0.0.6.102.3506 beta revealed that the AC86U node will not support Guest Network Pro (/VLAN)
Looks like I'll either keep just the GT-AX6000 as a single router for the entire house, or return it and continue with the AC86U a bit longer.

(I'm still in doubt whether I "need"/want the GT-AX6000, so a second one instead of the AC86U is definitely overkill)

• By moving the GT-AX6000 downstairs (as main router) and putting the AC86U on its place on the middle floor (as a wired node) I did get better throughput in the living room (ground floor), but worse results in the attic.
  • My MacBook Pro on the ground floor now often connects to the 2.4 GHz of the AC86U on the middle floor instead of the 5 GHz of the GT-AX6000 on the ground floor... (unless I disable Smart Connect)
  • A brief experiment with v9.0.0.6.102.3506 beta revealed that the AC86U node will not support Guest Network Pro (/VLAN)
Looks like I'll either keep just the GT-AX6000 as a single router for the entire house, or return it and continue with the AC86U a bit longer.

(I'm still in doubt whether I "need"/want the GT-AX6000, so a second one instead of the AC86U is definitely overkill)
In my case, I know that 2x GT-AX6000 were overkill but the OCD in me couldn't resist plus I got the AX-GT6000 150 USD cheaper than what I paid for my first one 2 weeks ago. I just wanted the max performance with 2 new routers sporting the latest SoCs and I do not regret my decision now after I've set them up. Switching between the 2 routers happens seamlessly and I am getting the same speed whether upstairs or downstairs (tested on my Google Pixel 7 Pro) I got 750mpbs down speed out of my 930MBPS down connection so for a phone on WiFi I consider that superb.

Last edited:

Lessons learned:

Disable SmartConnect. Connect your devices to the appropriate band.

Do not mix firmware versions between different class routers.

If you got the GT-AX6000 at a good price, don't regret that by returning it today.

Are we talking about three floors? Can you have one router on the top floor (wired backhaul) and one router on the basement/main floor? They can each serve the middle floor if they can be properly positioned.

From the top view (main router on top floor, Node on basement floor):

Main Router---------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------AiMesh Node

From the side view (main router and node same as above):

Main Router----------------------------------------------(top floor)

-------------------------------(middle floor)-------------------------

(basement/main floor)--------------------------------AiMesh Node

Or, reverse the main router and node depending on the importance of the areas covered on the middle floor. Only experimentation will determine this in most cases. As will the specific client devices you want to be connected to the faster router too.

The worst placement of a wired backhaul AiMesh setup is to have the main router or the node on top of each other, and/or one or the other in the middle of the areas needing coverage. While this is the recommended setup for wireless backhaul mode, it is detrimental to wired backhaul mode in most environments.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!