What's new

Complete SNB noob question - RT-AX86U implementation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mattyran

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm stuggling with what I'm sure is a very basic problem.

Trying to setup an RT-AX86U to replace basic ISP router. I've transferred across LAN and can access the router but although I've picked up basic ISP details from logging into old router setup I can't get the ASUS unit to register a WAN connection.

I called ISP to confirm I was using the right logon account details but they can't support much beyond that as they didn't provide the router.

I haven't set up IPv6 or any UPnP rules - would they need to be active for the router to be providing a WAN (support at ISP said I shouldn't need them for it to function)?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciate.

M

Hi,

I'm stuggling with what I'm sure is a very basic problem.

Trying to setup an RT-AX86U to replace basic ISP router. I've transferred across LAN and can access the router but although I've picked up basic ISP details from logging into old router setup I can't get the ASUS unit to register a WAN connection.

I called ISP to confirm I was using the right logon account details but they can't support much beyond that as they didn't provide the router.

I haven't set up IPv6 or any UPnP rules - would they need to be active for the router to be providing a WAN (support at ISP said I shouldn't need them for it to function)?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciate.

M

Your basic ISP Router is presumably a MODEM/Wireless Router. What exactly are you using for the MODEM function in your RT-AX86U setup?
You should be putting your ISP MODEM/Router in Bridge mode and then connect one of the LAN ports of the ISP Modem/Router to the WAN Port of your RT-AX86U - preferably the 2.5G port. Turn off wireless function on the ISP Modem Router. Some automatically do this when you boot up in bridge mode. If ISP supports PPPoE then choose PPPoE in WAN Connection Type or Automatic IP if ISP supports CGNAT. Enable Symmetric NAT. Get WAN IP automatically should be enabled. Make sure you have the correct username and password and make sure you have Connect to DNS Server automatically enabled to use ISP DNS for Router OR alternatively check no and enter DNS server eg 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9 to have Router use these for Router DNS queries. Finally make sure your MTU / MRU are set to 1500, 1492 or some other optimum value

Last edited:
Hi,
We have a connection box to HFC, which I've connected direct to the RT-AX86U's WAN port. I thought I could get rid of the ISP router - I didn't realise it had to keep it in the chain. I'll get that into bridge mode.

Hi,
We have a connection box to HFC, which I've connected direct to the RT-AX86U's WAN port. I thought I could get rid of the ISP router - I didn't realise it had to keep it in the chain. I'll get that into bridge mode.

ISP/modem <Ethernet> your router WAN

Did you reboot all equipment?

Who is the ISP?

What is the make and model of your ISP equipment?

OE

Hi OE,

I'm in Australia, so you may not know the ISP: Internode

They support PPPoE and I've got those settings per Joe's guidance above

There router is a Technicolor TG789vacv2.

We have these hybrid fibre cables to a wall outlet and then that runs through a box and then the ethernet wire comes out of that and into the router. I had thought I'd be able to configure the WAN settings on the ASUS and ditch ISP's modern but it sounds like I need to keep it and use in bridge.

I have rebooted everything. But I ran out of time last night and didn't try the bridge mode. I'll hopefully give that a go today.

Thanks again to all.

Hi,
I’ve put ISP router in bridge, turned its wireless off and power cycled everything.

Router (ie ASUS) has settings as suggested above.

I get wireless but am not connecting to internet. ISP routed now lights up with internet and Ethernet connections but AX86 is showing as no network cable connected.

not sure what to do next. Is it a factory reset on the isp modem to try and get this running again.
Thanks,
Matthew.

Hi,
I’ve put ISP router in bridge, turned its wireless off and power cycled everything.

Router (ie ASUS) has settings as suggested above.

I get wireless but am not connecting to internet. ISP routed now lights up with internet and Ethernet connections but AX86 is showing as no network cable connected.

not sure what to do next. Is it a factory reset on the isp modem to try and get this running again.
Thanks,
Matthew.
Scratch that query. I’ve put settings in several times over and must have had something wrong because I’m now connected to internet.

just can’t get a secure access to sites. Will keep going through settings and seeing if I have some odd security.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!