What's new

Complex internet issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mlg321

Regular Contributor
Had a similar thread a while back, but up and running with new equipment and new problems.

Before I start:

15 units in apartment complex
2-4 bedrooms each (30-60 tenants)
Cat5e wired
2 modems
1 peplink dual wan router
Switch
Access point in each apartment

Looks like we are getting fed 30down 5 up with the help of 2 modems bonded.

During day light hours when traffic is less until about 8pm, no problems, 20-27down 1-5up.

9pm to 1am we are seeing serious issues. Speeds are dropping to <1down 1 up.

Here is what we are working with:

7uqepagy.jpg

u5evyzeq.jpg

I am working with management on this issue. Any help is appreciated.

Are those speed drops with only one connection to the net? If even a third of your tenants are connected and using the internet at the same time then this is about par for the course, no?

If you're the only one connected and the speeds are 30x less - speak to your ISP. Or start shopping for a new one.

are you seeing those drops without any traffic? i know my provider centurylink is having problems between those hours, but it also causes my latency to jump from 15ms to 150-300ms pinging 8.8.8.8; whereas your latency still looks very clear.

they really need a fat fiber connection or something. 25mbit... dammit L&LD

Are those speed drops with only one connection to the net? If even a third of your tenants are connected and using the internet at the same time then this is about par for the course, no?

If you're the only one connected and the speeds are 30x less - speak to your ISP. Or start shopping for a new one.

Almost everyone in the apartment complex are college students. So a majority of students are home and online between 9pm-1am.

I am definitely not the only one online when these drops are occurring. Online classes, youtube/netflix streaming and general internet usage during these times most likely.

are you seeing those drops without any traffic? i know my provider centurylink is having problems between those hours, but it also causes my latency to jump from 15ms to 150-300ms pinging 8.8.8.8; whereas your latency still looks very clear.

they really need a fat fiber connection or something. 25mbit... dammit L&LD

Over the summer I was not seeing these kind of drops. We were portably at a 25% capacity over summer. 100% during the school week during normal school semesters.

Hi,
On your router, is there a TCP congestion control? If so did you try them?

Hi,
On your router, is there a TCP congestion control? If so did you try them?

I have been given access to the network room once, we are using a Peplink Balance Multi-WAN router, unsure of model. I don't have access to the room without management.

Is this something I should suggest? What does it do? How do we configure it?

Hi,
dd-wrt has this feature. As it says TCP congestion control has many different methology
with different algorithm, it has names such as Vegas, Cubic, etc.

Ran packet loss tests - getting 40% packet loss during peak times, 0% loss during non-peak times.