What's new

Computer router + APs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

v8u1er

New Around Here
Hi,
I'm a newbie in networking so please answer me in details if possible.

I want to setup a network in an multi-floor apartment building. the network consists of:
-computer router on top which is connected to the internet.
-multiple wireless APs configured in bridge mode and connected to each other.
-multiple clients connected to the APs.
the computer has two NICs one connected to the internet, another one connected to one of the APs. the computer also has a traffic shaping software installed.
the main purpose of the computer is to limit bandwidth per user (ie per client IP address) so if one sets his computer to download all day long, other users can also browse the internet.
the network topology is attached.
so here are my questions:
1- is this practical at all?!
2- all the APs should be configured in bridge mode?
3- the DHCP server would be the computer i.e. it can do the traffic shaping right?
4- can you introduce some good traffic shaping software for this purpose (limiting bandwidth per ip address)?

any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Network Topology.jpg
    Network Topology.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 285
I'm not sure what you mean by connecting the APs in "bridge" mode. The best way is to connect each one via Ethernet to a switch that is connected to your routing computer.

If you are using wireless bridging / repeating, you are going to lose 50% throughput each time you go through an AP. So the 192.168.1.13 client in your diagram will have a very slow connection.

You might look at pfSense for your routing software.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanw...g-your-networks-bandwidth-hogs-part-1?start=1

I'm not sure what you mean by connecting the APs in "bridge" mode. The best way is to connect each one via Ethernet to a switch that is connected to your routing computer.

If you are using wireless bridging / repeating, you are going to lose 50% throughput each time you go through an AP. So the 192.168.1.13 client in your diagram will have a very slow connection.

You might look at pfSense for your routing software.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanw...g-your-networks-bandwidth-hogs-part-1?start=1

correct me if i'm wrong:
if there is a switch between the routing computer and access points, the computer can not shape the traffic per ip because the switch is dealing with associating ip's to the clients.

You are incorrect. The switch works at the MAC level and will have no affect on traffic shaping.

correct me if i'm wrong:
if there is a switch between the routing computer and access points, the computer can not shape the traffic per ip because the switch is dealing with associating ip's to the clients.

It depends "where" you have it being done. For home setups, typically it's only done at the router level. But you can have it done on managed switches that support it, as well on the PC itself..although that approach is rarely used. But a switch in between does not negate the ability to perform it....it's done by IP or more commonly by type of traffic.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!