What's new

Concurrent VPNs with AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Seth Harman

Occasional Visitor
I normally run my AC86U with a single VPN connection running which is utilized by a limited number of clients on my network, all other clients go out unencrypted. I decided to try setting up a second VPN as a catch-all to encrypt all the other clients not locked to the first VPN. This did not go well, performance on both was pretty sub-par (original VPN went from ~70Mbps to ~11Mbps, second VPN was also ~11Mbps). As soon as I turned off the second VPN performance of the original VPN went back to ~70Mbps. Should I give up hope that the AC86U can handle two concurrent VPNs without performance of both being poor?

I normally run my AC86U with a single VPN connection running which is utilized by a limited number of clients on my network, all other clients go out unencrypted. I decided to try setting up a second VPN as a catch-all to encrypt all the other clients not locked to the first VPN. This did not go well, performance on both was pretty sub-par (original VPN went from ~70Mbps to ~11Mbps, second VPN was also ~11Mbps). As soon as I turned off the second VPN performance of the original VPN went back to ~70Mbps. Should I give up hope that the AC86U can handle two concurrent VPNs without performance of both being poor?
What client numbers are they on? That matters since different VPN clients use different cores. Check this reply from RMerlin from another thread.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/p...-asus-openvpn-client.43029/page-2#post-426754

I only run one VPN client but others run two or more concurrently, hopefully they will chime in on what works for them, or you can experiment with different client numbers. Have fun.

What client numbers are they on? That matters since different VPN clients use different cores. Check this reply from RMerlin from another thread.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/p...-asus-openvpn-client.43029/page-2#post-426754

I only run one VPN client but others run two or more concurrently, hopefully they will chime in on what works for them, or you can experiment with different client numbers. Have fun.

Aha, thanks for pointing me at that thread! I had them configured as Clients 1 and 5 so I'm guessing having them both on the same CPU was the culprit for the huge drop in speed. I'll give the second VPN a shot on 2 or 4 and see what happens.

So yeah, that did the trick. By moving the second VPN to Client 2/4 there doesn't appear to be a measurable speed hit on the first VPN when both are running. Thanks again!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!