What's new

Configuration Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scoaste

New Around Here
To preface, my networking knowledge is a bit limited. What I initially wanted to do was just change my DNS to use Adguard to filter out streaming service(s) ads. But then I started diving into my network setup and it opened another can of worms. What I have are two routers: one is a Technicolor C2000t required to connect to my ISP. The second is an ASUS RT-AC68U which I already owned prior to switching to this ISP, to which all clients are connecting. Everything works now but I suspect that I have more services enabled on both routers than I really need. What I would like to do is use the ASUS as both a hardwired (PC) and Wi-Fi (mobile, etc.) device access point (assuming that's the correct terminology) that also supports VPN clients on those devices (not configuring VPN on the router(s) per se). The C200t would be just the Internet on-ramp -- no wireless enabled. What I'm needing help with is what is a recommended minimal, secure way to configure these? I.e WAN, LAN, firewall, NAT, DHCP, WPA2, IP addresses / ranges, DNS, DMZ, etc. I know, I'm asking a lot.

You can change Asus' Operation Mode to Access Point. It then becomes a fairly dumb device with no routing capabilities. So no VPN, no AiProtection, no DNS, no DHCP, etc. Your C2000t would then carry on just as before providing the heavy lifting.

Last edited:
Thanks, Colin. I applied that and verified that I have Internet access still from all devices. However now I cannot get to the ASUS login page anymore via either domain name or IP. My PC is hardwired directly to the router.

I saw that page, however it doesn't help with my Linux system. I tried "arp -a" and "ifconfig -a" but nothing reveals.

Doesn't the C2000t have some logs that show the IP addresses of DHCP clients (which the Asus will be if you didn't configure it with a static address)?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!