What's new

Configure the RT-AX86U 2.4G Wireless parameters to maximize range vs speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Logi

I have some Ring cameras that are getting RSSI = -80dBm in the 2.4G Band, I am using the latest Merlin FW, I see a lot of parameters I can play with to configure the Wireless networks, what would be your recommendation to Maximize range, even if I have to sacrifice speed, thank you

I have some Ring cameras that are getting RSSI = -80dBm in the 2.4G Band, I am using the latest Merlin FW, I see a lot of parameters I can play with to configure the Wireless networks, what would be your recommendation to Maximize range, even if I have to sacrifice speed, thank you
Go back to Asus firmware and use the WIFI defaults. Sounds nuts but I get my best performance with the defaults. Even use SmartConnect.

I like the Merlin firmware due to the added functionality, I haven’t modified any parameter, everything is default from the ASUS firmware inherited to the Merlin firmware

20 MHz band, maybe 20/40 for starters. Let the router select the channel based on its sampling. Or do a wireless survey to figure out one of the lesser used channels.
You may have to reposition the router/AP to get less interference. Or add an AP and reduce power to avoid overlap.

BTW, please don't post the same question in multiple subforums.

20 MHz band, maybe 20/40 for starters. Let the router select the channel based on its sampling. Or do a wireless survey to figure out one of the lesser used channels.
You may have to reposition the router/AP to get less interference. Or add an AP and reduce power to avoid overlap.

BTW, please don't post the same question in multiple subforums.
Sorry for the duplication, I was hesitant between this groups (AX routers) and the Merlin group

and while you are at it, unless you have devices that need them, turn off a, b,g protocols for the radios.

I have some Ring cameras that are getting RSSI = -80dBm in the 2.4G Band

This is what the router is getting from the cameras. You need to move the router closer to the cameras or add a second AP. Playing with settings is unlikely to help.

and while you are at it, unless you have devices that need them, turn off a, b,g protocols for the radios.
Apologies for the basic question, where I do that? After a quick scan I didn’t find anything on the Wireless tab, neither the professional section

You’re wasting your time @Logi, especially if you are on Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7 release. It has somewhat buggy Wi-Fi drivers from older Asuswrt base. Before you ask a question, read around the information already available. It will save you time and frustration.

Apologies for the basic question, where I do that? After a quick scan I didn’t find anything on the Wireless tab, neither the professional section

Using Smart Connect may force wireless mode Auto, so not much choice. See advice in post #7.

OE

You’re wasting your time @Logi, especially if you are on Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7 release. It has somewhat buggy Wi-Fi drivers from older Asuswrt base. Before you ask a question, read around the information already available. It will save you time and frustration.
Thank you very much, I reverted back to the latest Asus FW and I gained 6dB, it improved from -70 to -64

RMerlin is working on merging updated drivers from Asus and Asuswrt-Merlin will be fixed soon, perhaps with 386.7_2 release. Have some patience and you can switch back to your favourite firmware. Or you can temporary use the previous 386.5_2 release.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!