What's new

Configuring AIMesh - Which should be main? 3100 or 3200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scottphillips88

New Around Here
The RT-AC3100 is the superior model. The RT-AC3200 is almost out of support (at least for RMerlin firmware and most likely Asus stock firmware following soon).

Model numbers don't indicate which is better. :)

I have these 2 routers:

RT-AC3200 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S9SGNNS/?tag=snbforums-20

RT-AC3100 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01707HPKS/?tag=snbforums-20

I assumed the 3200 was better than the 3100 and recently snagged it. Now I'm reading about how the 3100 has double the memory and 1.4ghz vs 1ghz cpu.

Which one should be my main and which should be my node? (Main will be split to a 48 port switch serving my whole house. Node will be hardwired on the backhaul.

The AC3100 will make the better AiMesh router/root node.

I don't think the AC3200 supports AiMesh.

OE

Does the AC3200 even support AiMesh? IIRC, it doesn't. It is also no longer supported in new Merlin firmware. So I'd return it ASAP.

I'm such a sucker!! It had 2 extra antennas and a higher model number! What was ASUS doing? LOL - Longtime asus router owner. I'm embarrassed.

It has happened to us all. Congratulations on being upgraded to the 'wiser and more knowledgeable' member status now. :)

I'm such a sucker!! It had 2 extra antennas and a higher model number! What was ASUS doing? LOL - Longtime asus router owner. I'm embarrassed.

Shake it off! :)

You could wire it as an AP, but I think you would do better to pursue AiMesh 2.0... the AC86U as router/root node, or consider an AX model... but know that WiFi 6e AX routers are starting to arrive. I feel the move to WiFi 6e should include a move to tri-band for a dedicated wireless backhaul.

OE

While I got your attention....how about I keep the AC3100 and get a few Blue Caves to go around the house. Does that seem like a good idea? (FYI I recently retired my VERY trusty AC1900) It started to do a few random blackouts every day after many years of service. So I have been playing with a new mesh setup for the house.

No, the best pairing with the RT-AC3100 would be an RT-AC86U. I don't believe you will need more coverage in a normal/large home. And I would make the RT-AC86U the main router at that point with the RT-AC3100 as the AiMesh node.

More AP's are problematic unless you move to enterprise-grade WiFi network equipment and a professional install (or, spend the time to fully optimize one yourself).

Ok - thank you. That is what I will do! I got this 3200 for $50 and I'm stuck with it. I guess it looks pretty on a shelf.

Side note - at my pops house we installed these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083Q45V1V/?tag=snbforums-20

Not impressed with them. Refuse to connect if you do 192.168.1.1. Has to be 192.168.50 which has been a big pain in the butt.

Figured I would rather build my own mesh than deal with that zen model. Both have been not as smooth as I hoped.

Thanks for all the feedback.

That link doesn't show what you installed at your pops house. :)

While I got your attention....how about I keep the AC3100 and get a few Blue Caves to go around the house. Does that seem like a good idea? (FYI I recently retired my VERY trusty AC1900) It started to do a few random blackouts every day after many years of service. So I have been playing with a new mesh setup for the house.

Nope. I feel Blue Cave is also niche. ZEN a wee bit less so. Asus wants to capture market share and needs pretty routers but their traditional routers are still their mainstream routers... imo. So, stick with what they do best until they demonstrate otherwise. What they really need are indoor and outdoor wireless AiMesh AP discs... not pretty bookends.

OE

That link doesn't show what you installed at your pops house. :)

Hmm -- sorry about that. Well it was a ZenWifi AX 2 pack. We are only able to use 1 of the 2 because it will not link the second one unless you convert your whole network to 192.168.50.......and we aren't gonna do that. /rant

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!