What's new

Configuring ASUSWRT Merlin (RT-AC68U) to work with IPVanish...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Derance

New Around Here
This is new territory for me and I seek the help of the technical expertise in this forum... Trying to configure my router's OpenVPN client to run IPVanish's VPN service I recently purchased . Have reached out to them, but have not received a response. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Derance, I used the following instructions and got it to work the first time around :D https://vpntips.com/vpn-router-install/ They happen to use AC68 and IPVanish as their example - Perfect!
I too followed those instructions and while the router says it is running, all of the statistics sit at 0 and never change and I am unable to access the internet until I run IPVanish on each individual computer. I am obviously doing something wrong and I can't figure out what it is. Can anyone help?
Bill

I used the following instructions and got it to work the first time around :D https://vpntips.com/vpn-router-install/ They happen to use AC68 and IPVanish as their example - Perfect!

I too followed those instructions and while the router says it is running, all of the statistics sit at 0 and never change and I am unable to access the internet until I run IPVanish on each individual computer. I am obviously doing something wrong and I can't figure out what it is. Can anyone help?

Did you check the syslog for errors on the router?

Under the Advanced Settings section near the bottom of the left hand menu.

Under the Advanced Settings section near the bottom of the left hand menu.
Yes ther are errors, I am uploading the syslog.txt file showing the errors.
I cut and pasted the openvpn stuff in the first place so I am not sure where to look for the errors that are causing the problem.

Attachments

• syslog(1).txt
    6.1 KB · Views: 573
Yes ther are errors, I am uploading the syslog.txt file showing the errors.
I cut and pasted the openvpn stuff in the first place so I am not sure where to look for the errors that are causing the problem.

Not sure why but in the log file entries the / is coming through instead of , as a separator. This might be due to a copy paste issue of the initial config. If IPvanish offers a .ovpn config file you might be able to just import it instead of copy and pasting the entries for the certs.

Code:
Oct 26 16:17:08 openvpn[25877]: VERIFY X509NAME ERROR: /C=US/ST=FL/L=Winter_Park/O=IPVanish/OU=IPVanish_VPN/CN=chi-a04.ipvanish.com/emailAddress=support@ipvanish.com, must be same
Oct 26 16:17:08 openvpn[25877]: TLS_ERROR: BIO read tls_read_plaintext error: error:14090086:SSL routines:ssl3_get_server_certificate:certificate verify failed
Oct 26 16:17:08 openvpn[25877]: TLS Error: TLS object -> incoming plaintext read error
Oct 26 16:17:08 openvpn[25877]: TLS Error: TLS handshake failed
Oct 26 16:17:08 openvpn[25877]: Fatal TLS error (check_tls_errors_co), restarting
Oct 26 16:17:08 openvpn[25877]: SIGUSR1[soft,tls-error] received, process restarting

Not sure why but in the log file entries the / is coming through instead of , as a separator. This might be due to a copy paste issue of the initial config. If IPvanish offers a .ovpn config file you might be able to just import it instead of copy and pasting the entries for the certs.

Code:
Oct 26 16:17:08 openvpn[25877]: VERIFY X509NAME ERROR: /C=US/ST=FL/L=Winter_Park/O=IPVanish/OU=IPVanish_VPN/CN=chi-a04.ipvanish.com/emailAddress=support@ipvanish.com, must be same
Oct 26 16:17:08 openvpn[25877]: TLS_ERROR: BIO read tls_read_plaintext error: error:14090086:SSL routines:ssl3_get_server_certificate:certificate verify failed
Oct 26 16:17:08 openvpn[25877]: TLS Error: TLS object -> incoming plaintext read error
Oct 26 16:17:08 openvpn[25877]: TLS Error: TLS handshake failed
Oct 26 16:17:08 openvpn[25877]: Fatal TLS error (check_tls_errors_co), restarting
Oct 26 16:17:08 openvpn[25877]: SIGUSR1[soft,tls-error] received, process restarting
IPVanish doesn't seem to offer an .ovpn file , at least not one with the certificate included. The file I cut and pasted used / rather than , as the separator. Should I try replacing the / with a , in the certificate file. I have sent the stuff off to IPVanish support but I am not holding my breath. They would much prefer I purchase another new router already flashed for their program (Tomato or DD-wrt) I would very much like to use the Asus WRT firmware.

IPVanish doesn't seem to offer an .ovpn file , at least not one with the certificate included. The file I cut and pasted used / rather than , as the separator. Should I try replacing the / with a , in the certificate file. I have sent the stuff off to IPVanish support but I am not holding my breath. They would much prefer I purchase another new router already flashed for their program (Tomato or DD-wrt) I would very much like to use the Asus WRT firmware.

If the / is between the BEGIN and END that's fine.

Here's a sample of an .ovpn from a different provider, that might help your craft your own.

Code:
client
dev tun
proto udp
remote ca.west.torguardvpnaccess.com 443
remote-cert-tls server
<ca>
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----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-----END CERTIFICATE-----
</ca>
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
auth-user-pass
comp-lzo adaptive
cipher AES-256-CBC

IPvanish is most secure and fastest VPN, this company operates 180 plus servers globally more information http://www.mostsecurevpn.com/ipvanish-review/ mostly it works on all operating systems.
yea good advertising :p
Look at the speed test they use a 10 mbps and open vpn can't even do it as fast. I use PIA and I have an 8 mbps and when I go on VPN I get 8 mbps
IPvanish claims most secure, very questionable.
they seem to be expensive in comparison to PIA 40 US a year :)
PIA claims the same hype as IPvanish
PIA is super easy to configure and they have all the info on their site. IPvanish seems complicated

This is new territory for me and I seek the help of the technical expertise in this forum... Trying to configure my router's OpenVPN client to run IPVanish's VPN service I recently purchased . Have reached out to them, but have not received a response. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
If you reached out to them and they didn't respond then get your money back,
Go with PIA they have good support and its easy to set it up with ASUS routers
its cheeper and it works :)

Thanks...

I have asked IPVanish for more specific support but they didn't answer yet, but I'm sure you can easily configure by following this resource. this guide will show you how you can configure ASUSWRT Merlin (RT-AC68U) with Open VPN option, hope that works. but I would recommend Expressvpn instead of IPVanish. Expressvpn has more supported devices then IPVanish. Here is updated and detailed Expressvpn Review 2016

Last edited:
You are going to have to successfully build a .ovpn file for use with ipvanish to pull this off. You can probably guess at most of the commands in one by modeling it after files used by other VPN companies. Where you are going to run into a problem is getting the certificate information for use in integrating the cert into the ovpn file. ipvanish will have to provide that data. They provide the ip addresses but not the data for the cert. Ask their support. I was using expressvpn openvpn client and expressvpn review got all the setup details.

IPvanish is not consistent with its performance. It is not safe for anonymity. Users have faced speed issues while using for streaming. If you compare IPvanish with other VPNs for e.g. ExpressVPN review you will see a huge difference in security protocols, fast speed, and devices compatibility.

customer support response is very important when it comes to VPN as it the way to communicate and resolve the issues for customers, however, many VPN providers including IPvanish has not that much efficient Customer support. I have been using ExpressVPN for a long time it is very smooth in performance with sustainable servers, secure protocols, no connection lag for streaming, quick customer support response you can read in detail about ExpressVPN review

Last edited:
You can configure PureVPN on this router (RT-AC68U) easily with few simple steps, I would suggest you to go through to the detailed purevpn review and follow the tutorial regarding this (RT-AC68U) with the help of this review on their website. it will help you in set up more easily and you can also contact with purevpn live chat directly to get this done