What's new

Configuring Cable Modem (with Router) and a Separate Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GiorgioTX

New Around Here
I think this is the right forum for this -- apologies if not...

I have an Arris TG1672G cable modem (with integrated router) from Time Warner/Spectrum. They are charging me $5/month for "wifi" and I decided I would get a separate router to put behind the cable modem and discontinue the Spectrum Wifi surcharge. The router I purchased is a Synology RT2600AC (based on feedback I have seen in FNB forums). I am trying to figure out how to optimally configure this combination.

1) I want to use the Synology router to control the network and not simply use it as an Access Point. Is that the recommended route?

2) Assuming that it makes sense to let the Synology Router control the show for the home network, I would want to disable functionality on the cable modem and enable it on the Synology router, namely, things like DHCP, NAT, firewall, Bridging, etc. Which services should I turn off on the cable modem and enable on the Synology Router? I will turn off the wifi capabilities on the modem.

3) What ip addresses and address ranges do I assign to both the cable modem and the Synology router, assuming the Synology router is controlling the network DHCP and is controlling the range of network ip addresses? Separately, but related, I already have 1 access point (an old asus router set up for AP use) on the existing network with a static, assigned ip address in the range of the DHCP server provides today -- should that be moved out of the active range? Currently, the ip address range is 192.168.0.1 (for the cable modem) and 192.168.02 to .255 serving as the active assignable ip address range.

4) Ideally I want to enable services on the Synology router like VPN server, to allow me to remotely connect into my network and use it as a vpn service for when I am away. Does that change anything above?

Thanks for the advice and help!

I think this is the right forum for this -- apologies if not...

I have an Arris TG1672G cable modem (with integrated router) from Time Warner/Spectrum. They are charging me $5/month for "wifi" and I decided I would get a separate router to put behind the cable modem and discontinue the Spectrum Wifi surcharge. The router I purchased is a Synology RT2600AC (based on feedback I have seen in FNB forums). I am trying to figure out how to optimally configure this combination.

1) I want to use the Synology router to control the network and not simply use it as an Access Point. Is that the recommended route?

2) Assuming that it makes sense to let the Synology Router control the show for the home network, I would want to disable functionality on the cable modem and enable it on the Synology router, namely, things like DHCP, NAT, firewall, Bridging, etc. Which services should I turn off on the cable modem and enable on the Synology Router? I will turn off the wifi capabilities on the modem.

3) What ip addresses and address ranges do I assign to both the cable modem and the Synology router, assuming the Synology router is controlling the network DHCP and is controlling the range of network ip addresses? Separately, but related, I already have 1 access point (an old asus router set up for AP use) on the existing network with a static, assigned ip address in the range of the DHCP server provides today -- should that be moved out of the active range? Currently, the ip address range is 192.168.0.1 (for the cable modem) and 192.168.02 to .255 serving as the active assignable ip address range.

4) Ideally I want to enable services on the Synology router like VPN server, to allow me to remotely connect into my network and use it as a vpn service for when I am away. Does that change anything above?

Thanks for the advice and help!

Basically, you want to login and configure the Arris gateway for bridge mode so that it is just a modem (Google it for lots of discussion). Then setup and use your own router in it's full capacity... router, firewall, WiFi, etc.

OE

Thanks for that quick response! Do I assign the cable modem an IP Address and, if so, within the DCHP range our outside of it? Otherwise, I am not sure how I would potentially administer it (although that will become less of an issue shortly).

Also, what IP address should I assign the Synology router (which will control the network), and does it matter if the AP I have is within the DCHP range or not?

Many thanks!

No, the cable modem will have an IP assigned to it. When it is in bridge mode it will pass that to your Synology router as the router's wan address. In bridge mode the cable modem is transparent.
All of your devices will be on your internal lan. Use whatever DHCP IP range you want for that.

No, the cable modem will have an IP assigned to it. When it is in bridge mode it will pass that to your Synology router as the router's wan address. In bridge mode the cable modem is transparent.
All of your devices will be on your internal lan. Use whatever DHCP IP range you want for that.
One more quick question. The Arris Modem has a DHCP configuration for the WAN ip address. I asked the Spectrum tech rep but they were pretty clueless about whether or not I should leave it as-is or disable. I left it as active, thinking that I need Spectrum to assign the IP, and since I am not paying extra for a static IP , I assumed I needed this. Thoughts? Attached a pic of it...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 9.45.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 9.45.04 PM.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 858
Are the two blocked addresses the same ?
The only thing i can think of is that is used to set a static address by turning that section off or to accept the host assigned one from their upstream DHCP server.

No - the two addresses are different. When I googled around found one fellow who disabled this. I am not sure that’s right, since I think that’s how the external IP gets assigned.

Here's the link to the youtube video and a screen cap showing him disabling the DHCP IP for the wan.
I am not sure that this makes sense.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 2.46.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 2.46.46 PM.png
    215.9 KB · Views: 952