What's new

Configuring Merlin 386.4 need advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SteveVoip

New Around Here
Good day to the community,

New member here, I did a lot of reading and finally decided to jump in the Merlin Bandwagon because of the great reputation of the community as well as the one from the Firmware itself.

I got myself a AC5300 that I have flashed with the 386.4 version, I would like to know if I could get your recommendations on how I should implement the desired following services to ensure success on deployment.

My intent are the following

1 - run a VPN client (PIA, not to name it) that will operate on some specific devices, not all traffic will route via this. I am familiar with creating Static IP for the devices in Merlin
2 - install a VPN Server (I think I will go with Open VPN as WireGuard (is not fully supported yet, not sure about it..)
3 - use Quad 9 or Cloudfare DNS as default - not sure about how this will work with PIA (DNS Leak?)
4 - use an ad blocking solution like Diversion or AdGuardHome -

*I will initially create all my static IP for my devices before doing any of the steps under.
I was thinking of doing the change in the firmware in the order above 1 to 4, do you think that I should do it in a different order? I was thinking at 3, 1, 2 and 4

I do not even know if the order matters or not, maybe I am overthinking it with the very limited knowledge that I have, hopefully this is the case...LOL

I would like to thank in advance the community for the excellent work done on this amazing firmware.